nocturne

Sitting on the porch swing, you watch as dancing hues of orange and red flicker in the distance in time to the beating drums. The swing squeaks softly as it rocks back and forth; one leg dangles over the edge, trailing over the floor, while the other is pulled close to your chest. You can feel the vibration of the music in the wooden boards under your foot, and a faint melody drifts in on the gentle breeze. The evening air is crisp, carrying sounds of merriment and laughter and dancing feet from the center of town where the bonfire is held every Saturday.

    The door quietly shuts beside you as your sister appears, smiling slightly.

    "Not going to the dance tonight, brother?"

    You hum, shaking your head.

    "Not tonight."

    Turning your attention away, you focus on how the sky gradually populates with stars. Leaves rustled by the breeze in the nearby forest whisper like nature's ghostly windchimes, a few last birds chirping goodnight to each other as the crickets begin their own symphony.

    "Well then," a hand lands on your shoulder, "would you like to dance with me?"

    You smile and rise from your seat.

    "Of course."

    Your sister grins, before grabbing your hand and leading you down the porch's stone steps to a clear patch of grass in front of the house. The distant music is a nice accompaniment as you dance a slow waltz together under the light of the full moon.

    The song kicks up a notch, and your sister gets a mischievous look. She tugs on your hand, hard, suddenly springing into a fast paced jig, and laughs as you spin her around and around, dipping her low before swinging her back up again.

    You whip around each other in quick steps until you're both tired from your feet practically flying over the ground, filled with a pure, simple happiness all the while.

    Slowing down to a moderate pace, you keep dancing, music ebbing and flowing in the background as the night goes on.

    The moonlight pours down in silvery threads, like a spotlight just for the two of you. The sky is clear, and the stars seem to shine a little brighter.