Chapter Ten - Storm

"Your Troop's dead...." The queen repeated. "H-how?!".
"I don't know exactly...All I know is something attacked us. Flare, who was in watch, told us to get back to the cave, that Gray and a few others on patrol on seen movement on the other side of the border....We assumed it was the CoastWings planning to attack, and we wanted to launch our attack first".
Ember turned her head towards Storm, her wings shaking a bit. "A whole group of FlickerWings.....just dead".
Storm draped his wing over her, the way he used to do when they were small dragonets. "Let's listen to the rest of the story....".
"We went back to the cave and waited a few hours. We thought the patrol had attacked without, or maybe even got attacked themselves. We made our way outside, but when we got to Flare...he was already dead. We didn't have to time to go much further to check on the others when we were attacked....".
Ash flinched. "How close was this to the school?".
The Queen turned to him. "Ash! One of my troops was just killed and your worrying about the school?!".
Ash narrowed his eyes. "Of course I am! It's full of dragonets!".
"Well, I'll force the dragonets to fight the CoastWings if I have too!".
Ember shivered. "I don't like the CoastWings but I don't want to kill them" she whispered to Storm.
Storm nodded slowly. "Don't worry, though. I'm sure she didn't mean that".
Dusk looked down. "It wasn't just the CoastWings that attacked....".
The Queen widened her eyes. "What? Are you saying the CoastWings brought their pets or something...?".
Everyone was silent for a moment in til Ember gasped. "Are you saying there are FlickerWings betraying us?!".
Dusk sat down and nodded. "Working with CoastWings, they were like allies".
Queen Lightening stood up. "Who, did you recognize them?! I'll have them killed immediately-".
"No, no! I didn't recognize any of them, they were wearing masks that covered faces, and there were only a few FlickerWings...".
The Queen sat back down and growled. "What happened to them?! Where did they go?!".
"I'm sorry...I didn't see. After my troop was killed off, I got away as fast as I could".
Ash shook his head. "It's so weird...Your whole troop was killed...And you didn't even get any wounds...".
Something weird flashed through Dusk's eyes. "I-I'm just lucky I guess....And to be fair, I was mostly in the shadows the whole time".
Strike cleared his throat. "Um, what about my assessment...?".
Ash looked at the Queen. "I'm sorry, Strike....I don't think it's gonna happen today".
The Queen shook her head. "I'm sorry too. It's a shame I couldn't see what your capable of. After we get this all sorted out, I'll come back".
Ash bowed his head. "Whatever works for you, your majesty". He turned back to Ember and Storm. "Hm, You've all witnessed a lot today...Why don't you go hunting?".
Ember nodded. "Uh, thank you".
Ash nodded at Dusk. "Why don't you accompany them?".
Queen Lightning sighed. "Once you her back, come straight to me. I need to know more about these traitors!". She let out a soft growl.
Dusk nudged them towards the balcony doorway. "Come on...What are your names?".
"I'm Ember! This is my older brother, Strike and my best friend, Storm".
Dusk grunted. "Er, nice names....Sorry, I'm not good with dragonets..".
Ember tilted her head. "Don't you have your own dragonets? I always wondered what it's like getting partnered with someone as a soldier".
Dusk sighed. "It's not really anything, you pretty much never talk...It's just...You know".
He spread his wings to fly and Ember hovered beside him. "You seme to trail off a lot for a soldier!".
He just frowned at her as Storm hit her with is tail. "Sorry about her. She just speaks about whatever comes to her mind".
Ember snorted. "At least I actually talk! All you do is hide in the corner-".
Strike cleared his throat. "Guys, let's go! I want to get something really big to impress the Queen!". He took off ahead of them.
Dusk growled. "Hey! Don't get to far ahead! With the CoastWings so close to the border, who knows if their attack!".
Strike turned back. "Then come on, slow-pokes!".
Dusk rolled his eyes as Strike sped away. "Well, we better get going anyways".
Storm didn't move as Ember left his side, he was thinking of what Dusk has said. FlickerWings helping CoastWings? Why, and most importantly — Who?