3.

Something nudged my leg and I woke up with a start

Something nudged my leg and I woke up with a start. The world had been plunged into darkness and I was in the middle of an earthquake!

Wait no. I blinked a bit until my eyes adjusted to the light. I was in a wooden cage covered by blanket and the cage was on a donkey cart that had just driven through some potholes.

I was nudged again, and I realized I wasn't even alone in the cage. No, trussed up like a turkey (like me), Josh the hero was here too. He looked quite disheveled but mustered a smile when he saw I was awake.

I think I hissed worse than the basilisk,

"What the hell have you gotten me into?!"

His smile turned into a frown,

"How about what have you-"

He was cut off by two deep voices coming from outside who were also arguing, but alas they were arguing in Greek,

"I don't understand why you wanted the boy too, the girl is enough."

"Petros don't start this again-"

"I'm telling you; he is not going to sell well on the market!"

Both me and Josh were equally enraged by those words.

"Market?!"

"Boy?!"

Neither of the men seemed to hear us over the banging of the cart and all the insults that followed fell on deaf ears. After a short cool down period though, Josh began talking business,

"We need to get out of here. Got any hidden weapons on you? They took my sword and dagger." he said.

"Yes, a knife strapped to my left inner thigh."

Not needing to be told twice, Josh started inching his way towards me, turning in the process so his hands, that they had tightly bound behind his back, could reach the knife. After a few minutes of fumbling he almost had it and then he really, I mean really, didn't.

"Lower. Definitely lower." I said, trying to keep calm.

"Huh? – oh – OH - Sorry!"

Luckily for the both of us, he did get it eventually and after a bit of, let's call it couples' yoga, we were able to cut each other free.

I finally got the chance to lift the ominous blanket and see where we actually were. One glance though and I dropped it again in shock.

"How the hell are we on a mountain pass? how long was I out for?" I asked, mostly myself.

Josh lifted it to take a look and his reaction was similar to mine,

"Only woke up maybe five minutes before you. Judging by the sun, it's evening. That makes it what? 12 hours? How the hell... "