Chapter 16: Dennis

Before even entering the Labyrinth, Dennis and Vinn met every Saturday at the market. He bought her bread, she ate it, and, once she had stopped eating, they started talking.

Dennis liked to talk to her, because she told him everything about her life. She lived with mother, her three brothers and four sisters. She told him that her father had abandoned them and her mother didn't have a job, so they didn't have any money to buy food. That was why she stole the loaves of bread.

They usually stayed there talking for some time, but then Dennis had to run away and go to his mother, who wouldn't have been happy of seeing his son giving bread to some stranger.

Soon Dennis started to develop a huge crush on Vinn, so he wanted to buy her something else other than bread. Something prettier. Maybe a jewel.

Dennis came from a rich family, so he could afford buying a pretty jewel for Vinn. He didn't know what type of jewel she liked, so that day he came to the market some minutes earlier to choose carefully.

While his mom told him she was going to see if there were any new clothes or some food she could buy for him, he started looking at some pretty rings on a big table, trying to make sure that his mom didn't see him.

He chose a big blue ring. He really hoped Vinn would've liked it. He was about to pay the lady who sold the ring, when a man bumped into him suddenly.

He had yellow, dirty teeth. A huge bruise was showing on his left cheek and he had a weird smell of alcohol. His clothes were old and the lice jumping on his hair were visible from a distance.

Dennis grimaced at the sight of this man. He didn't exactly look like someone you wanted to talk to or that you could actually trust.

"Good morning, young man. You are looking for a jewel, right?" the man asked Dennis, smiling.

It would've been far better if the man would've closed his mouth so all of his horrible teeth wouldn't have showed, but he kept grinning.

"Yes, actually." Dennis muttered, trying to avoid looking at the man in the eye.

"I have the perfect thing for you!" the man slowly showed Dennis a big golden necklace, with a huge medallion.

The necklace was extremely nice and it immediately caught Dennis' attention, but the man didn't look trustworthy, so Dennis didn't know what to think.

Dennis shook his head: "I already chose the ring. I'm sorry."

"But this necklace is much better than that ring. And I will make a special price for you." the man grinned, and Dennis couldn't help but  hoping he would stop showing his dirty teeth.

The lady who was selling the ring started frowning and looking impatiently at Dennis.

Dennis shook his head firmly. "I'm sorry. I will buy the ring."

The man sighed and did the last thing Dennis expected. He bent down on his knees and grabbed Dennis' hand.

He was now on the floor pleading.

"Please, but my necklace. I have a daughter. She is your age. Well, maybe a little younger. I also have a son. He is very young and I love him more than anything. I need money. Please. We don't have anything to eat. My wife died some years ago and now we are alone. This necklace is hers. It's the only thing I have left of her, but I need money desperately. I want my son and my daughter to be happy. Please." the man pleaded, tears forming in his eyes.