The Start of Something Good

May 2017

It was a fine Spring day outside as the tall handsome man looked out from the window in one of the upper floors of VAST entertainment, the agency he had set up a year and a half ago with his mentor. He was deep in thought, but there was that familiar feeling of certainty, contentment and excitement for the decision he was about to make public. When this happens, he knew that he was on to something good. He had always been known to take risks, and although the results were not always favorable, he had no regrets for those experiences always taught him valuable lessons. This was no different. To take on this project would mean going out of his comfort zone for it would be his first time playing a hardcore villain. He had taken many unexpected roles before---a mental patient, a psychopathic gang member, a gigolo, even a North Korean soldier, but never a full-on bad-ass villain, and a hostage-taker at that. He couldn't wait to sink his teeth into the role. Secondly, the method of filming would be different, for instead of acting face to face with co-actors, he would be acting with the other lead through a dual filming process. Thus, the dynamics would be different. But more than the story and the role, he was excited to work with the lead actress who had signified her acceptance of the project a few days before.

When he was offered the script and told that Son Ye Jin was also positively considering the role of Ha Chae Yeon, the negotiator, his interest was piqued even more. He knew of her, but more than the polite greetings and brief run-ins in social gatherings, he hadn't had the chance to personally get to know her. He had seen her attend the VIP premiere of Confidential Assignment, but that was because she was invited by Yoo Hae Jin sunbaenim and Yoona. He was also surprised that she seemed to be very close to Lim Yoona. It was an unlikely pairing, a famous Idol and the award-winning actress. Except for a few congratulatory words exchanged between him and Son Ye Jin, he never really had the chance to sit down and talk with her. However, one thing that stuck to his mind was that she seemed down-to-earth and uncharacteristically reserved. She was always bright when she was in the company of what seemed to be good friends of hers, but although she was friendly to everyone, she was also polite and unassuming. And although she stood out in a crowd because of her star presence and beauty, she didn't call attention to herself.

He had only just recently watched her 2016 film "The Last Princess" with SoRa after much coaxing. His girlfriend of 6 months said she had been wanting to watch the critically acclaimed film. He was busy as always, but Sora had been harping on him on how they never got to see each other. He felt guilty, of course. Kang Sora was much younger than him, and he couldn't blame her for wanting time together, romance and all the works, especially since they were still in the early part of their relationship. He tried his best, but sometimes, all his efforts would fall flat because of work or his responsibilities as CEO of VAST. They had seen the movie at her place after a long tiring day, and he was so sure he was going to fall asleep in the first 10 minutes, but surprisingly, he was glued to the television the moment Son Ye Jin came on screen, transfixed by her solid acting. She was one of those actresses who banked on her ability and skill rather than her beauty. She had established quite a reputation for being one of the best, but since she was known to pick more melodramatic roles, he had never really thought about working with her...That is, until now. He knew of her reputation for being an excellent actress, of course. Who didn't? She was the nation's first love, and was known for her professionalism and for having great chemistry with everyone she worked with. She was well-respected in the industry, and more than the successes in her projects, she was also well-liked by almost everyone he encountered who knew her. After watching The Last Princess, he found himself gravitating towards watching more of Son Ye Jin's films whenever he had a quiet night at home. And the more he watched her, the more he admired her as an actress. He didn't know much about her though, since like him, she seemed to value her privacy very much. He was also surprised to find out that contrary to what he first thought, she had taken quite a variety of roles in the past. Her body of work was impressive, and he began to wonder how he never thought of working with her before. Hae Jin sunbaenim was all praises about her when he talked about her. One of the nicest people he knew, he said, and that she was a joy to work with for she had a lot of ideas and she kept things light and fun on the set. With the prospect of finally working with her, Hyun Bin felt as if he would learn a lot from her, and he was excited to find out what their dynamic and chemistry would be like.