Crashing waves

Ylina was distracted and she knew it, but how could she not? Sure she knew Bran was a responsible child for his age, but Rickon was... Well, he was a rowdy little thing as it was. Now with a baby around, he was far more excited and wanted to be near the new family member at all costs. Ylina found it endearing, but she knew it was somewhat dangerous. Thankfully she had Bran to hold the baby in his arms as he sat quietly in his chair, a few feet away from where she was sat while Rickon ran around the two of them, laughing and playing along with whatever it was that was happening in that creative mind of his. As Ylina watched the three boys with attentive eyes, she noticed she hadn't really been paying attention to the man standing in front of her and telling her his troubles, so, sending Daria from her side off to stand by the boys, Ylina's attention finally returned to the man.

"And it's not just thieves, m'lady." He was saying, as Ylina nodded, slightly at him. "There's wolves in them hills now, more than I ever seen. They come down in the night and they kill my sheep. My three sons is away fighting for your brother, m'lady. They'll fight, keep fighting till they're told to go home. I have no one to man my flock now. Only me. I can't keep watch all day and all night."

With yet another understanding nod, Ylina weighted her options before deciding on the one that seemed to be the most beneficial to everyone.

"We can send two orphan boys from Winterstown home with you to help watch over your flock if you can give them room and board." She said, as the man smiled.

"My wife always prayed for more children." He smiled, as Ylina returned the gesture. "We'll look after them. Thank you, m'lady. And may the gods bless you and yours."

Ylina watched as the man left and waited in silence for someone to walk inside. When no one came, she let out a tired sigh and rubbed her forehead for a second.

"Is that everyone?" She asked, causing Maester Luwin to nod.

"It seems that way, my lady." He nodded.

"Good." She said, getting up from her chair and walking toward her brothers.

With a smile, Bran passed her Ember and the baby gurgled happily once in his mother's arms. Ylina could tell Rickon was about to say something else, but before he could Ser Rodrik and two of his men walked inside the room, coming to a stop in front of Ylina.

"My Lady." The man gave her a small bow of his head and Ylina nodded for him to continue. "Torrhen's Square is under siege."

"Torrhen's Square is barely 40 leagues from here." Ylina noted, when Maester Luwin gasped.

"How can the Lannisters strike so far north?" The older man asked.

"Might be a raiding party led by the Mountain." Ser Rodrik answered, looking straight at Ylina once more. "Might be sellswords paid by Tywin Lannister."

"We have to help them." Bran said, urgently, causing Ylina to glance back at him and nod reassuringly.

"Most of the fighting men are away with Robb, but I can gather 200 decent men." Ser Rodrik said.

"Do you need so many?" Maester Luwin asked, causing Ylina to look at him as she rocked a quite agitated baby in her arms.

"If we can't protect our own bannermen, why should they protect us?" The girl demanded, looking at her Maester and missing the proud smile her old — and secret — teacher in the masters of weapons' gave her. "Go, Ser Rodrik. Take 150 men with you, but spare us the rest so we can protect the castle if needed be."

"You won't have to, my lady." He said. "Southerners don't do well up here."

And when Ylina nodded at him, Ser Rodrik bowed again and left the room, probably to gather some of his men to leave to Torrhen's Square. Ylina was worried, of course. She worried about the people there, the kinds of trouble they were probably facing now that they were under siege. She had never seen one but she had read books enough on them. Her father had told them enough stories about them. Sure the soldiers suffered and men's lives were lost, but that wasn't the worst part. Soldiers were trained for this, they spent their years learning techniques of survival and making themselves as strong and resilient as they possibly could. No, it wasn't the soldiers that troubled Ylina, afterall, they chose to be there. The thing that bothered her the most about sieges were the struggles it put the common people trought: hunger and diseases. That was when the men were kind. Sieges were the perfect opportunity for thieves and rapists. No one could leave and no one could enter which meant vulnerable houses and unprotected women. She hated it, but at the same time, she knew it was better than a blind slaughter only so one idiotic and selfish lord could sit himself in a castle and proclaim himself lord of somewhere.