03

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER THREE ˎˊ˗

Kalila is awoken by the incessant vibrating of her bedside table. Knowing that it was before she had to be at school, she let out a loud groan as she sat up in bed, pushing the tangled mess she called hair out of her eyes and blindly reached for the phone.

"Hello?" she practically grumbled into the speaker without thinking much of it.

"Okay, well, you're a bundle of sunshine in the morning."

Her eyes widened at the sound of the voice on the other line. "Jeremy!" she exclaimed in shock. She sprung up out of bed quickly, pacing around her bedroom as she tried to wake up. "Sorry, I thought you were my dad calling to get me out of bed."

"It's fine," he reassured her as she let out a sigh of relief. "I was just calling to let you know what I found in Jonathan Gilbert's journal."

"Oh, really?" she asked, putting on her best friendly voice. "What'd you find?"

"Jenna gave me some of his old stories. He was around during the Civil War era, and he's referring to demons that walked the night as the Union soldiers that invaded during the night." Kalila's smile fell, but he couldn't see her, so he continued on. "And I think I want to focus more on what could have influenced his fiction and the fiction of other writers of that time."

"It sounds like it'll be a great paper," Kalila said, knowing she could convince him later. "Hey, I gotta get ready for school, but I'll see you later?"

"Yeah, as long as you're up for digging through pages and pages of boring history books with me."

"Always!" Kalila exclaimed with a smile. She hung up, and it pretty much immediately dropped.

The door to her bedroom opened seconds later to reveal the face of her dad. "Was that Jeremy?" Kalila just nodded. "How's his paper coming?"

"Well, he currently thinks that vampires are the metaphor of Union soldiers." Kalila shrugged, dropping down onto her bed as her dad sat next to her. "But I think I can get him to pay more attention to other research for my benefit while he still writes his paper on the same thing."

"Did I raise you to be this manipulative?" her dad said, elbowing her in the side.

She turned to him, narrowing her eyes. "Yeah, says the guy who's dating Jeremy's aunt," she mocked, standing up as she said so.

"Okay, but we're not dating. Team, remember?" he said, gesturing between the two of them. "And you're the one that doesn't want to put down roots." He laughed as Kalila threw a pillow at him, holding his hands up in surrender.

Kalila laughed too, dodging as he threw the pillow back. "At least we're in a place that can bring us other leads." Her dad nodded. "Now get out; I gotta get ready."