35

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE ˎˊ˗

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Kalila's brow furrowed as the incessant tapping coupled with the sunlight shining through the window was enough to pull her out of her much-needed sleep. Last night was exhausting emotionally. It didn't feel very great knowing that her boyfriend didn't trust her to take care of herself. Damon had already more than made up for his indiscretion, as he had dropped by late last night with a stupid 'Get Well Soon' bear from a hospital gift shop, but it was a Damon apology if she had ever seen it.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

She groaned, throwing the covers off her body as she sat up, trying to find the source of the noise.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Her head was pounding, but she still walked across her room to her window where she had determined was the source of the annoyance. As soon as she reached the glass, she saw the familiar dirty blonde head of hair as Stefan looked up at her.

She sighed, swinging the window open. "Hello, Stefan," she greeted, leaning on the window pane with her chin propped up on her hand. "Your brother apologized with a crappy teddy bear, so what do you got?"

Stefan rolled his eyes, but still smiled at her, bright enough for her to see from the second floor of her home. "I'm sorry I forgot my boom box."

In spite of the fact she told herself she would be angry at Stefan for at least another day, she cracked a smile, and then the laugh broke through at the image of Stefan holding a boom box over his head in her backyard, a snort following after. She clasped a hand over her mouth, trying to keep the happy noises inside, but it was no use. "Stop it!" she laughed. "I'm supposed to be mad at you right now."

At that, Stefan easily jumped up into her window, sitting on the edge precariously as his hand came up to cup her cheek. "Kalila. I'm sorry."

Kalila entirely forgot how to breathe as he stared into her eyes, searching for any form of forgiveness. And it was there. She could tell. Over the past few months that she's gotten to know him, and all of his quirks, she knew that he was sorry. And truthfully, deep down, she knew that the moment he told her he wanted her to sit this one out that it was coming from a great place, and coming from his great heart. The stubborn feminist in her couldn't accept that.

Still, she sighed as she reached her hands up to cup the sides of his face. "I forgive you. But if you ever, and I mean ever, so much as think about leaving me out of a plan again, I will make it way harder for you to earn my forgiveness."

He chuckled in spite of himself as she pulled his face towards her, connecting their lips. Kalila let out a happy sigh at the feeling of kissing him. Man, she wished she could have been there to rub it right in Katherine's dead face that she didn't get the guy.