05

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER FIVE ˎˊ˗

First period was just the same sort of hell that one could expect from a school that started at eight in the morning before people were even conscious enough to recognize left from right. Needless to say, Kalila hated first period. And actually, she hated all the periods that followed after them.

"Kalila!" Jeremy was waiting by her locker when she joined him, spinning the lock as she offered a smile to him. Jeremy was a great guy, but the amount of guilt Kalila felt for how their friendship started was more than enough to sour the rest of it. "Got my paper back."

She already knew this, but still went along with it. "Oh, yeah?" She reached up and switched out her textbooks for the next class. "What'd you get?"

"An A, actually," he said as if it was the most casual statement ever.

"Jeremy!" she exclaimed in actual excitement. To her surprise, her enthusiasm wasn't faked. "That's great!" She finally shut her locker and spun around to fully face him. "Almost makes that week we spent drowning in vampires worth it." She meant it as a joke to him, but it was crazy how that one week had pretty much become her entire life anyway.

"Yeah, so I was thinking..." he trailed off, rubbing the back of his neck. "Maybe I could take you out to dinner?" There was an awkward pause as Kalila stared at him blankly. "You know, uh, to thank you for the help with the paper?" He said it more like a question.

She bit her lip. "Jeremy...look," she started, feeling like she was kicking a puppy. "It was great hanging out with you and all, and I think you're a great friend, but I'm just not really interested in dating anyone right now."

Jeremy just nodded quickly, as if to interrupt anything else she was going to say. She just stayed silent, staring as she could practically see his brain trying to take in that information. "Yeah, no," he stammered. "You're pretty cool, too. I'm gonna...I'm gonna go." Jeremy turned to walk away, and he made it a decent distance before Kalila remembered what she needed to ask him.

"Jeremy, wait!" she called out, and when he turned around, she wished she had never said anything. She winced as she saw the look of potential hope that maybe she'd change her mind written all over his face. "Um, I was wondering if I could borrow Jonathan Gilbert's journal sometime? You know, to read everything instead of the same few passages over and over again?" She attempted a smile, but when Jeremy's fell, so did hers.

"Yeah, I'll get it to you when I get it back from Mr. Saltzman."

Kalila silently cursed herself as he walked away, wishing her dad had been a lot quicker to text her that he had gotten his hands on the Gilbert journal so she could have avoided that entire conversation. She leaned back against her locker, hitting the back of her head against the metal in frustration, letting out a groan.