Chapter Thirteen

Water sloshes from the jugs into the chipped glass mug for the Captain, who has resumed his usual grumbling state after last night's sentimental moment. The changeover was due in a few minutes and I was struggling, my hands cramping from the same repetitive motions and the rest of my being aching with a tiredness that I'd never experienced.

"Do you need that dressing changing?" I ask, seeing the Captain wince at his arm.

He thinks for a moment, pretending he hadn't heard my question, "No, it's fine,"

"Are you sure?" He nods, waving me off. It's only when I turn, do I see Frank stood a few beds away, rocking on his heels looking at me with desperate eyes. I move away, he follows, his footsteps quick and successive.

"What?" I snap at him, untying my apron and dumping it on the pile for cleaning.

"I need to speak to you," he says, quietly.

"I've just finished a twelve-hour night shift and haven't slept all day,"

He looks at me with wide, sunken eyes, "Please," he says. I consider him for a moment, his hair dishevelled, lip wobbling uncertainly.

"Alright, somewhere quiet though," I relent, signing myself out early to avoid the handover that Frank was on anyway. He nods, following me quickly running a shaky hand through his hair. We walk through to the back of the tents, where the mud had come right up to our knees which secured our privacy.

"I realise the position I have put you in,"

"I realise the position you have put yourself in,"

"I know that," he snaps. "You should probably report me," he bows his head, my eyes dart either side of us.

"I probably should but I'm not going to," I say, feeling the wind bite at my cotton clad arms.

"What?"

"It's your life," I say, shrugging my shoulders, "It's not for me to judge you,"

"That's very generous of you, so much so I don't believe it," he pushes. I watch him his eyes grow wide and bloodshot, his arms crossed tightly over his chest, the white fabric drawn taunt across pulsing arms.

I sigh, "I don't see you have much choice in trusting me,"

"No, I don't suppose I do,"

"Are we done?"

"If you like,"

I roll my eyes, walking away and round the back of the tent when an arm grabs me. I turn and see Frank looking back at me again.

"You won't tell anyone?"

"No," I say, prying his impressing fingers off my arm when he doesn't, "You have my word,"

"You'd better get going," he says.

"Alright then,"

--------------

The next two weeks the snow begins to fall in blankets, as Christmas looms near and the love of God for the soldiers seems dying. Oscar and me are still drifting between each other, not our usual selves; he's still mad at me for Longford's incident and I'm just tired of it all.

"Miss White, Colonel Fredricks would like to see you at 4PM sharp," Evans informs me gravely, I nod tightly. I see Elle look over to me sympathetically, and the other girls turn their heads like pinballs. "One of the ambulance crews will bring you on their way back,"