chapter 12

I could barely concentrate the next day at work. I was so confused about what was going on with Kellin. He kept acting so hot and cold with me and I wasn’t sure how much I could take until I finally break it off with him. What bugs me the most is when he goes days without coming to see me. He leaves me hanging and I know it’s not fair to me, but I have to look at it from his point of view. He’s made it clear that what me and him are doing is just a casual bit of fun. I’ve really got to detach myself, then again I wish there was a way I could see him every day.

There was a knock on my office door, interrupting me from my work. I had a last minute cancellation so I had no patients. I just figured it was Jill.

“Come in.” I muttered. The door opened and I looked up from my papers to see Kellin walk in. I was a little shocked to see him to be honest. I had expected him to disappear on me again.

“Uh, Kellin. I wasn’t expecting you.” I said.

“When do I ever show up expected?” He asked and smirked.

“I guess you have a point.” I said quietly. I was acting a little cold towards him, but I couldn’t really help it. He had been acting strange so why couldn’t I too?

Kellin shut the door behind him and walked over to the chair across from my desk. He held onto it and dragged it around to where I was sitting and then sat down next to me, spinning me lightly on my chair so I was facing him. What now? Is this the part where he seduces me so things go back to normal? Yeah well, I’m not buying it.

“Kellin, you should le-“ Before I got the end of my sentence out, Kellin leant forward quickly placed one of his hands on the back of my neck and pulled me to him, pressing his lips against mine. I was frozen at first, a little surprised by the action. In my head I was telling myself to push him away, but for the life of me I just couldn’t and instead I found myself kissing him back. He pulled away just after I started though and removed his hand from my neck. He sighed, sitting back a little.

“I owe you an apology.” He said. I scoffed and rolled my eyes, almost laughing at him.

“You’re damn straight you owe me an apology, or at least an explanation. What the hell, Kellin? You don’t talk to me for days and then you show up all angry over what I don’t know and then you-“

He did it again. He lurched forward and kissed me, holding my head in place. This time I pushed him away, getting a little annoyed with his games.

“Sorry. You were rambling and I couldn’t resist.” He said sheepishly. He gave me a little smile and damn it, it was infectious and I felt the corners of my lips tug, which he noticed of course.

“Whatever, just, go on. Tell me what happened these past few days.” I said, putting on a straight face. He moved a little closer to me and looked at me with those bright, piercing eyes. They looked so innocent and I felt myself forgiving and forgetting before he even spoke, but I still wanted to listen.

“Okay, so after we were last together I felt, I don’t know, strange. It was weird doing what we did when Scotty was right there. I like to keep what I do completely separate from him so when he almost found out it just freaked me out and I just…I don’t know…” He trailed off, looking away from me.

“So you pushed me away, like a defensive mechanism.” I said.

“Don’t get all doctory on me.” He joked. I didn’t need to push the topic further. He freaked out and pushed me away, end of discussion. Now I need him to explain last night. I wasn’t mad about last night, I was more worried about him.

“So what happened last night? You seemed pretty mad. Are you okay?” I asked. He sighed, running his hands through his hair in I guess a little frustration.