Chapter 5

Singing Through Siren Sounds, Chapter 5

"You OK?" Pompey asks me.

"I'm cool..."

It was the next day and after class, I head rehearsal with the boys at the old building. Taz isn't there yet and Kesean is on the phone with his girlfriend. That left me and Pompey. And the way Pompey's looks at me shows that I'm not doing a good job hiding my concern about what happened.

"Back there at the Rush party, I went back to get Taz's phone," I explain, "And those white boys. They damn near attacked me."

"Man really?" Pompey asks.

I nod, "They were coming at me. One of them is threatening to release a sex tape of me and Coin...you know...being intimate if I tell my homeboy about his girlfriend cheating. And he wanted one more thing."

"What?

"He didn't want the band performing."

It was the truth. Andrew had threatened me right to my face saying that if I didn't keep his secret about him and Celine he'd release the tape. Then out of nowhere, he talks about the band too. And it's only when I agree that he escorts me out there making sure none of his racist ass friends messed with me.

One thing that was clear by how they backed down was that Andrew had a lot of pull in this school. People listened to him.

And that worried me.

"Don't tell Taz," Pompey warns me.

"Of course not. I'm not stupid," i state.

We both knew how Taz was. And the truth is I can almost see Pompey has the same worries about me about all this.

"This shit is getting kinda hot man. Maybe...the band isn't the best thing right about now..."

I shake my head, "I know. Taz wants it though."

"He thinks he has something to prove," he explains to me.

I'm confused, "What do you mean?"

That's when Pompey gets serious with me, "Taz. He's not even all black. He's biracial. His dad was a white man who just ran out on him and his mother. He has some issues with white people. Some real anger there. I got to ride with my boy. Because he's my boy. But you got to go to school with these people. I can understand you not wanting to take up this fight."

I hadn't known about Taz's background with being biracial and whatever demons were caused. But thinking about it did make sense.

"I don't know..."

"You don't know what?"

It's Taz who walks in. He has this look on his face that is just as cocky as ever. Taz always seemed so confident. He always seemed like he knew exactly what was happening and always had some control. Even surrounded by enemies he had no fear. Apart of me wishes I had that same kind of confidence.

"Nothing," I back down, "We just wondering what song we should practice."

He shrugs, "Some Luther Vandross."

Pompey seems confused, "Why him?"

"It means something to me and Dijon."

He walks up on me. And not just like in a normal way. Not in the way two straight guys walk up to each other. His eyes are smoldering me. His eyes melting into mine makes me feel as though he is fucking me by just staring. It's clear that if he ever cared what Pompey had to say about us that was fading relatively quickly.