Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"Wren," I whisper, "I'm so sorry."

He doesn't tear up but he just looks so weak. It's as though he'd just gotten the biggest beat down of his life as he struggles to get back up. He seems so hurt and there's nothing that I can really do for him at that moment but apologize.

"It's my dad who told you that message, wasn't it?" Wren asks.

"He wants to come to pick you up later tonight. Wren if you can please not tell him that I told Dijon. He specifically wanted me not to tell Dijon."

"Why not?" Wren asks.

"He...uh...and this is what he said, guys, this isn't me..."

It was something offensive and Vance who had just apologized for his own offensive behavior wanted to make it clear that this wasn't coming from him. Right now none of that mattered.

"Just say it," I respond.

"Your dad thinks Dijon has something to do with it," Vance states.

"That's fucking crazy," Wren states, "If he wants to come to get me later then that's fine but he's not going to keep disrespecting my partner..."

Partner. He called me his partner. I feel this deep emotion at that moment as I'm sitting there. I feel so much guilt that I'm the one who caused him to be feeling all of this pain right now. I stole his address. I want to tell him. Even with Vance standing right there. I wanted to reveal all of it.

But I don't know if this is something he could ever forgive.

And at this point I just get silence.

It gets even more awkward when Vance states, "That crowd is getting bigger man. I got to go. You need to go be with your family right now."

Vance leaves and now I really don't have an excuse. I feel like this isn't something I can keep from him. I would hate it if he kept this from me.

So I turn to him and say, "Wren, I got to tell you something."

"Can it wait. I need to make some calls about my mom."

He tries to walk away but I get in the middle of him and the door pressing up against his chest to keep him there in the room.

"I had something to do with it."

I spit the words out. It's almost like emptying shots into his heart. I knew this was going to kill him. I wanted to just get it over with. At first, he keeps just squinting at me as though trying to rephrase the words in order for it to make sense for him.

It becomes clear that doesn't work though when he shakes his head and says, "You going to have to run that back."

"I described your house to Taz..." I state.

He gets quiet. Real quiet. He just stares at the ground. I can't read him at all at this moment. I reach out to him trying to touch him.

"Don't touch me."

"I'm sorry Wren. I really am."

I had made it clear to him by doing this that I chose Taz over him. And the thing was I regretted it. I regret feeling so much anger towards McHenry that I would do down the path of wanting something to happen to him.

And now an innocent person was dead, because of me.

"I loved you," he admits to me.

Him using that word breaks me. It's because when he says it he looks at me and it is clear that he meant it. There was this connection that I felt this entire time. This connection that said this relationship was unlike many others you were going to have in your lifetime. And I felt that connection being shed.