Chapter 2

When Spencer picked me up on Friday night he gave my dad a firm hand shake and looked him in the eye. Plus, he was polite and he called my mother 'ma'am' and my father 'sir'. I could tell that my parents had immediately approved. My brother on the other hand felt like being an annoyance and gave Spencer so much crap. 

"So, Spencer," He began. "Where are you and my sister going to be going tonight?" Spencer played it cool and just told him straight forward. Davis finally quit and told Spencer that he would be watching him. When we got in the car and were half way down the street Spencer said to me "So? How'd I do?" 

I smiled and answered "I think you did really well it seemed like they approved of you. Sorry about my brother." 

He laughed. "I'm glad I did well with your parents and don't worry about your brother. I do the same thing with any guys my sister brings home." 

"Great," I said with a hint of sarcasm in my voice. 

"Listen so I told my parents that they could also get to meet you tonight if you don't mind." 

"No that sounds fine, are we going before the movie or after?" 

"I was thinking after before I bring you home, so after the movie I guess." He answered as he started the car's engine and began driving down the street. 

"Alright sounds good to me." We chatted as we drove to the movie theater. 

I had let Spencer choose the movie. So we went and saw Super 8. During the movie he had put his arm around me. It was really sweet because he didn't do it in that cheesy yawning move he just put his arm around me. We shared some popcorn and twislers, which were my choice. 

After the movie we walked over to Pine Tree Park which is a few blocks away from the theater and where we had left the car. "The movie got out a little earlier than we had planned so would you like to do some star gazing with me?" He asked. 

"Yeah I love to look at the stars," I replied. 

"Great," Spencer said as he grabbed a blanket out of his truck and spread it out on the ground. We lied on the blanket close to each other but not to close. Spencer was a gentleman who wasn't going to force me into anything. That I knew for sure. 

After looking at O'Ryan's belt, the Big Dipper, the Little Dipper and a few other constellations Spencer and I drove to his house where I got to meet his parents. Rick and Jane Jensen. 

They were very nice people. And I could tell that Spencer was relieved when they both gave me a warm and welcoming smile. We stayed at his house for awhile then Spencer drove me home. Before I got out of the car I kissed him on the cheek, and he seemed shocked. I smirked at myself for surprising him, he isn't easily surprised. 

"Wait so I'll call you tomorrow okay?" He said as I opened the car door and jumped out. 

"Sure," I answered. 

"Ok I'll talk to you soon then." 

"Alright bye." I said as I shut the car door and walked up to my front porch. As I closed the door behind me he drove away from my house and down the street towards the main road that goes farther in to town, back to his house. 

"So how was your first date?" My dad asked when I came in. 

"It was a lot of fun thank you for letting me go," I replied. 

"Your welcome I hope that you had a good time," He answered. I sat down in one of the old fashioned chairs that are sitting in my living room. After a few minutes of listening to the news my dad said "I can tell that he's a good guy Lace. And it seems like he really cares about you. So I just want to make sure that you know that I approve." "Really? Thanks dad. You have no idea how relieved I am to hear you say that," I answered. We finished watching the local news cast then I went downstairs to my room where I put on my favorite pajamas, shorts and a tank top. After brushing my teeth and putting my reddish brown hair into a pony tail I went to bed replaying my first date in my head. I had to admit. It was perfect. 

***Four Years Later (Back to real time)*** 

Spencer and I had sure grown together over the past four years. We did everything together. We were a perfect match. Yes we agreed on things but we were also very good at balancing each other out. After my nice flashback and I had finished my breakfast I threw on some clothes and drove to school. I saw Spencer in the hall and he just said a quick 'hey I have to talk to you later,' before walking away without letting me answer him. Something was up, even if he was late to class he would always stop and talk to me for a couple minutes.

Later that day I was sitting in Chemistry when Spencer came in and sat down next to me like he always does.

"Hey," he said as he sat down and took out his goggles. "We need to talk."

"Yeah we do." I replied.

"Look I know that I must seem like the biggest jerk in the world at the moment because I have hardly talked to you over the past week but I just..." He paused and looked as though he were trying to find the right words to say what he had to say next.

"I have been having some sudden family issues over the past week..." He finally continued.

"I see well why didn't you just tell me that to start-" I began to ask but was interrupted by our teacher Mr. Reid.

"Alright class please settle down and take your seats." He began. "Today we will be making a compost of-"

Spencer passed me a note that said 'can we talk after class?' I just nodded as my answer and returned to taking notes in my lab book as Mr. Reid rambled on. We were to work with the person we were sitting next to on this lab. Spencer and I worked silently on our project saying as little as possible to each other. This was unusual for us because as we work we would usually talk. The good part about the no talking policy we had during that hour was that I had plenty of time to think about what Spencer was going to tell me, and he had enough time to put into the right words what he was going to tell me. The only thought that kept creeping into my mind was: is he going to break up with me? I tried hard to push this thought from my mind, but it kept resurfacing itself, only making my worries worse.

"I guess I will just have to wait till after class to find out." I thought to myself.