Chapter 5

“I got home from school on Monday and my dad was the only one home,” He began. “I came in and he had made me my favorite snack. We sat where we are now and we started talking about the usual stuff, you know school and hockey.” He paused for a second and I could see some tears beginning to form in his eyes before he continued. “Then he told me that I should just be aware that he wasn’t going to be able to do as many things with me as he used to. He said that at his last doctors’ appointment they had found a lump in his lung.” He paused again and took a deep breath. I put a gentle hand on his and told him that it was okay and that he could just take his time in telling me what happened next and that I didn’t have to know if he didn’t want me to; and the first tear of many slid down his face.

 “I want to tell you because I need to tell someone…and I love you,” He trailed off at the last part. “And right now I need you to be there for me…please?”

At that small remark I felt tears start to fall down my own face. I nodded and gave him a hug and we both just broke down. I felt so bad for him. I mean if his dad were to die he would have to take over the responsibilities of being “the man of the house”. He would have to help his mom take care of his little brother, who wouldn’t remember their dad very much, and his sister would be a mess. See Kelsey and I are actually quite good friends and I know that she loves her dad more than anyone else in the world. Don’t get me wrong she loves her mom too but her and her dad just get along better, sort of the way my dad and I get along better than my mom and I. Eventually Spencer and I stopped crying and when we did he gently kissed me. It was almost as though he had really just barely brushed his lips against mine.

 He then kissed me once more before he saying, “I’m glad that I finally told someone about all this. I feel much better.” I wiped my eyes and smiled.

“Don’t worry, your dad’s a strong man and I’m sure he will get through this alright?” I answered. He nodded slowly a gleam of doubt still in his eyes.

“I really hope you are right…”He said. “I really, really hope so.”