3

I smoothed my dress and watched from the corners and people flooded in the tiny ballroom Mother had procured in the town hall. We lived in the center of the capital city. Our house was small by any stretch of the imagination so there wasn't any room for a proper ballroom in our city dwelling. I had originally asked that the "gala" in question be moved to the garden. It wasn't large but big enough to host a small party of a couple dozen. But Mother flatly refused.

"The garden? What a notion! You must take us for some family of savages!" She cried, waving a lace gloved hand away,

"No, it must be in a proper ballroom."

And so town hall was decided upon. Mother had sent out invitations to anyone and everyone she could get her hands on. Since Father was a knight and a minor Baron, we had many friends in high places. But few of them were close enough to actually make an appearance at a coming of age gala. Still, it didn't stop Mother from sending the letters on lavender cardstock scented with flowery perfume which reminded me of my grandma's house. 

"It must be a masquerade" Mother had said one day as we sat in the drawing room, sorting through the mountains of papers containing addresses coupons and business cards. I scowled,

"Those went out of fashion years ago Mother, besides, I don't want a masquerade" I replied,

"Nonsense" Mother smiled, "Masquerades are coming back into fashion, and with a fine young lady like you heading off an oncoming trend I have no doubt in my mind it will be the talk of the Court in no time" 

I fought not to roll my eyes, "I think you underestimate my influence Mother"

But she didn't seem to hear me. Her mind was already engrossed gemstones and brocade.

Now as I watched the masked dancers fill the room I picked nervously at the swan feather mask mother had secured onto my face mere minutes ago. I could already feel it stick uncomfortably to my skin. The ballroom was small but it certainly made up for it in opulence. The walls were embossed in gold leaf designs, framing elegant baroque portraits of white clad women picnicking in summer fields. I smiled a little, looking down at my own white lace dress. At least I fit in with someone here.

Mother had insisted on white. She said it made me glow. While I could understand that, it certainly wasn't evening colors. And I felt woefully out of place among the deep reds and blues of the other party guests. At the piano forte I could catch the familiar face of Sir Charles. My tutor. Mother had reluctantly agreed to let him play at my insistence. Even though this was my gala, it seemed like I had little to no say in the organization of it. The least I could do was make sure I had my childhood mentor there with me. Sir Charles caught my gaze and smiled, the laugh lines at his eyes crinkling. Charles was almost and old man, but not quite. He was thin and angular, more of a grasshopper than a man. His hair, now almost completely grey, was spiked and messy. It never seemed to behave quite ride but Sir Charles never minded, and neither did I. 

I gave him a small nod and he took the cue to begin a light jig. Just like that, the ball was afoot.

I remained in my hiding place, watching the couples begin their dance. It was a strange, enchanted thing to watch the masks float about the room. She saw an silver wolf twirl a silver fox; while a jade peacock and a ruby falcon locked eyes with each other mid-dance.

"Why aren't you out there" I felt my mother materialize beside me. She leaned down, face contorted in fake concern. 

"Is something wrong Caroline?"

"No Mother" I replied, shrinking away.

"It's just-uh, I-" I stammered to find an excuse,

"I haven't been asked yet. Yes" I nodded, confirming it, it was technically the truth, but it wasn't as if I was seeking a partner either, sulking away in the corner as I was.