Chapter 4: As Fast As She Can

- Ocean -

I stare at Brittney, trying to figure out how to tell her... Brittney, I really love you and I'd like to be more than boyfriend-girlfriend? Brittney, I'd like to be your mate? Crap! It all sounds SO lame!

"Ocean! Ocean! Are you paying attention to me? I'm speaking to you! Get out of your head!" Brittney waves her paws in front of my face. Her fur's a bright orange tabby coloring; her simmering red wings flap as she flies besides me.

"What? Oh, yeah, I was paying attention," I say.

"Oh, really? Then what was I saying?"

"Uhhhhhhhhhh," I reply, trying to piece together the few words I heard.

"I know you Ocean, and you had that blank look on your face that you always have when you're thinking about something. SOOO wuch-you thinkin' about?"

"You," I state simply.

She tilts her head. "I see. Where you thinking about how pretty I am?"

"I was thinking about how I love you..."

"Go on."

The only word I can get out is "mates."

Brittney tilts her head, and a huge grin appears on her face. "Are you asking me to be your mate?" she asks.

I nod, feeling relived that I finally asked her. It'd been killing me for weeks, and I'd just been trying to get the courage.

Brittney brakes out in screams of "YES!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!" She makes quite a seen, everyone around turns to look at us. I find myself not caring. I'm glad she agreed, I'd been worried she wouldn't.

We fly for a while, enjoying each other's company. We talk a little, nothing much. 

That's when we see her; flying towards us; as fast as she can.