2 | "We are Bound."

KAMILLE WATCHED, MYSTIFIED, AS THE DEVIL THREW HIS HEAD BACK AND LAUGHED. He had a rather nice voice, and she couldn't help but think it sounded pleasant when he expressed joy. Or murderous intent, she wasn't sure -- she had just offered two souls to him, after all.

"Sorry, my sweet, but that's impossible," he smiled, and Kamille pouted.

"Damn it, I thought it would work," she huffed. "I mean, I get it's probably illegal or something to promise a soul that's not yours, but you're the Devil. Surely there are loopholes?"

Lucifer hummed. "Well, to give you an explanation may require a whole book -- one from a seven book series, to be exact -- but the simple answer is that Tom Riddle has split his soul into six pieces and there is nothing for me to feast on."

"So what you're saying is," she said slowly, "is that you refuse to take it because it would have no benefit for you."

Lucifer didn't answer and instead watched as the girl brought her hand to her chin in thought. Finally, she spoke. "What if I brought those pieces of his soul back together?"

"And you believe you can perform such a feat?"

"I summoned you, haven't I? He is just a man," she shrugged.

"A man who has murdered countless like you."

"Pish posh," she replied, waving her hand in the air. "He's just a little misunderstood. Timmy just needs some love!"

Lucifer smiled. He would not tell her that Tom Riddle was incapable of love. Kamille Grant could find that out for herself. Granted, it would make it easier for him to devour the man who has been bothering him for decades if he did -- but where was the fun in that?

Lucifer stood up, and waved his hand in the air. A blood red quill materialised in his hands and he presented it to Kamille. She didn't take it.

"Wait, don't I need to read this thing?"

"You could, or I could just tell you the important bits."

"Okay," she agreed. She wasn't really bothered to read the twenty foot long contract. She knew that was probably a bad idea but, well, this was a bad idea on its own. Kamille was sure she could manage the consequences when they reared their ugly heads later. A plate of baked goods always did the trick.

Lucifer smiled widely. Another idiot in the bag. He cleared his throat and began to speak.

"Between now and October 31st, 1981 you are entering a contract of six years between yourself, Kamille Persephone Grant, and myself, l͔͇͉̝͛̈́̇̄̏̌̎̏̕͜ͅứ̶͓͍̳̟̦͗̈͊̾̎̓̊̕͜c̷̡̣̥͖̹͔̼̼̝̔̇̄͂͊͢ȉ̵̡̢̡̢̛̤͓̬̗̞̆̽͆́f̵̲̰͚̹̝͆̈́̆̀̀͒͐̕ͅȇ̴͓̘͈͕̺͎́̊̅͛̍̕͟͠r̶̛͚̹̪̦̝̯̟̭̜̺̾͑͑̑̊̊͐̚ in which the details are defined in the following clauses:

"To save the life of one Lily Jane Potter--"

"Wait!"

Lucifer paused. "Yes?"

"In case I only get to save one soul I think it should be James Potter," said Kamille, squirming in her seat uncomfortably. She didn't like the fact that she had to make a choice, but... "From what I've Seen in this vision, James Potter dies first. If he lives, Voldemort will have a harder time getting to Lily and their son, so..." Maybe they will have a chance to live.

Lucifer shrugged, not really caring.

"Okay. To save the life of one James Fleamont Potter, clause 1 (c) states that a life must be exchanged. Kamille Grant forfeits her soul and freedom in compliance to the conditions listed in clauses 3 through 45, 48 (b), 69 (b), (d), (s) (m), 103 (a) and (m) part iii.

"In the condition the Contractee retrieves the soul of Tom Riddle successfully, the life of one Lily Jane Potter née Evans will be saved, in accordance to the clauses mentioned above, and in addition to clause 91 (f) and 153 (b)."

Kamille listened dazedly and in awe as Lucifer listed all the clauses by memory. The lines would glow a faint red when they were called upon in the contract, the same colour as the Devil's eyes she noticed, and Kamille was mesmerised by the prettiness of it all.

"The contractee will bear the Mark of l͔͇͉̝͛̈́̇̄̏̌̎̏̕͜ͅứ̶͓͍̳̟̦͗̈͊̾̎̓̊̕͜c̷̡̣̥͖̹͔̼̼̝̔̇̄͂͊͢ȉ̵̡̢̡̢̛̤͓̬̗̞̆̽͆́f̵̲̰͚̹̝͆̈́̆̀̀͒͐̕ͅȇ̴͓̘͈͕̺͎́̊̅͛̍̕͟͠r̶̛͚̹̪̦̝̯̟̭̜̺̾͑͑̑̊̊͐̚ and will need to comply with the additional clauses not mentioned previously.

"Finally, in order for Kamille Grant to achieve her goals Kamille Grant must do what the Contracter, l͔͇͉̝͛̈́̇̄̏̌̎̏̕͜ͅứ̶͓͍̳̟̦͗̈͊̾̎̓̊̕͜c̷̡̣̥͖̹͔̼̼̝̔̇̄͂͊͢ȉ̵̡̢̡̢̛̤͓̬̗̞̆̽͆́f̵̲̰͚̹̝͆̈́̆̀̀͒͐̕ͅȇ̴͓̘͈͕̺͎́̊̅͛̍̕͟͠r̶̛͚̹̪̦̝̯̟̭̜̺̾͑͑̑̊̊͐̚, desires--"

"--Within the limits of the contract," interjected Kamille.

"...Within the limits of the contract," acquiesced Lucifer slowly. "Thus, with the signing of said document We are Bound."

Kamille took the blood red quill and quickly scribbled her name on the bottom of the scroll which floated in front of her. It rustled in delight and when Kamille lifted the quill from the parchment, it rose and snapped itself into a tight roll, before disappearing in a puff of red smoke.

There was a lengthy pause. Lucifer was eating his eighth macaroon when Kamille spoke.

"So... what were all those clauses about?"

There was a dangerous gleam in Lucifer's eyes. "First, tell me what you Saw."

"Well... Voldemort broke into the Potter home. James didn't have his wand and tried fighting with his fists, but he was killed instantly. Lily tried to trade her life for her son, Harry, and when she died her sacrifice protected him." Kamille paused, frowning in thought. "I was under the impression that they were in hiding... something about a Secret Keeper..."

"They will be betrayed, Kamille."

She stared up at him with wide eyes. "But that's horrible! Who would do such a thing?"

He smirked devilishly, and Kamille felt her heart beat quicken, her breath short in her lungs as he opened his mouth to speak.

"You will, my love."

[Written: 30/06/20]
[Published: 05/09/20]