Part 9

The next day, New skipped his afternoon classes to attend a protest denouncing the false claims against his father and the continued corruption of the government. His father's supporters have set up a stage at a public park and thousands of people from different organizations including students from various universities were in attendance to support his father.

New was quite pleased at the huge turnout. A lot of people are not blind to the truth after all, he thought.

In a country like the Philippines where corruption is the norm, many people just choose to remain quiet instead of risking their lives by speaking up.

New understood this. Especially for people like him, rich and privileged, who benefit from the status quo.

He was busy passing out water bottles to the protesters when he recognized his friends walking towards him. They were all wearing black shirts in solidarity.

The worried look in New's face prompted Nanon to say something even before they were close enough.

"Don't get mad. We asked permission from coach. He said we can miss training this afternoon," Nanon explained.

"Uhuh, and I will only miss one class," added Jane. Ohm and Chimon just gave reassuring smiles.

"Fine," New told them. "Come help me distribute water then."

The five of them spent the next few minutes handing out water and listening to the speeches. After running out of water bottles in his container, New walked to the designated refreshments station to get more.

He had to stop a few meters from the station though when he saw Arm carrying a box of water bottles and Namtan with several boxes of bread.

Namtan, seeing the awkwardness between New and her, placed the boxes of bread on a table and walked towards New. She looked like she was about to cry.

"It's fine. No need to say anything," New said. He dropped the container he was holding and hugged Namtan.

"I'm so sorry, New, " Namtan said in between sniffles.

"I'm sorry too," New answered. They hugged for a few seconds until Arm interrupted them.

"Hey, stop the drama and help me unload the other boxes from my car," he told them with a smile.

At that exact moment, the gang arrived at the station.

"We'll help you kuya," said Ohm. He, Nanon, New and Chimon then followed Arm to his car. Only Jane and Namtan were left at the refreshments table.

Jane pretended to be busy so she didn't have to join them. Arm was obviously avoiding her and she felt uncomfortable. She shifted her focus on Namtan who was awkwardly standing there, looking at her.

"Hi," Jane said to Namtan. "I'm sorry for my outburst a few days ago."

Namtan smiled at her, "It's okay. I deserved it. Truce?" she said as extended her hand to Jane.

Jane ignored her hand and hugged her instead.

"Truce." she said, feeling so much better.

---

After the protest, Ohm invited New, Jane, Chimon and Nanon for a drink at his condo since they didn't have classes the next day. They all agreed to be there by 7pm. They then left while New opted to stay behind and help the other protesters clean the place.

Arm and Namtan stayed with New after everyone had left because Namtan had invited them both for dinner. New readily accepted since he didn't really have anything else to do and wanted to spend some time with Namtan after everything that happened.