The Apartment on Manchester Street

Gross. Manchester, who wants to be stuck with that awful street name ? I don't. I used live on Flower Street, at least I could say I was Flower Girl or something, but no. Manchester. If you're lucky, like my other friends, and you live on Crenshaw, you could say something cool like "Oh, I'm from the Shaw" or if you're from Hoover Street, you can just say "I live over on Hoover". I can't do any of that. If I'm lucky and someone simply asks me where I live, I can just simply say "Im from The Wood" as in Berrywood.

Unlike most lucky teenagers my age, I do not live in a house. Never did. Its always been some apartment. First it was the apartment on Flower Street, then it was the apartment complex on Belford street, and finally it was the apartment on Manchester Street. Yay me. Its the biggest one we've lived in so far. I once again have my own room and own bathroom, just like on Belford Street. My bathroom was bigger on Belford street, which would have been totally appropriate for a bathroom photoshoot. Here at Manchester, my bathroom has a rectangular mirror. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to see past my shoulders. Unlike any other place I've lived in, this one has extremely large window space. Most windows here take up the majority of the wall, the smallest ones are in front of the kitchen sink and in the bathrooms.

The building was built in 1963, just like my mother. When we came to view the place it was a cold rainy school night. My Godmother came to pick me up (which was a royal surprise for me) and she told me there was another surprise. I drifted off into my thoughts, wondering what the surprise could possibly be. Were we going to Santa's workshop ? Were we going to a fancy restaurant ? Before I knew it, there it was. This cute white building on a hill. It had two stories to it and a little hut for parking. I was given a tour guide of what would be our two bedroom two bathroom apartment. I chose between the two rooms, one which had a bathroom inside of it and the latter which had great big windows and a walk-in closet, which was just perfect for hiding. When I walked into the second room, I felt like I had endless space, before I moved all my stuff in.

My mother and I were the first to move in. Later on, my God sister took the apartment below us, my cousin took the one next door and my other cousins got an apartment just across the driveway. I find myself spending a lot of time there.