Chapter 1: The Invite

Poppy's POV

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping near the window, making their usual noises near the house.

"Ah, good morning birdies," I said, getting up.

I looked at myself in the mirror. I was a wreck, probably from all that partying last night. Not surprising, I thought.

After a quick shower and some makeup, I looked a lot more fresh and ready.

"Alright," I said, looking over at a few photos on the nightstand. One of me and Branch skydiving, and another of me and my new BFF Barb, queen of the Hard Rock Trolls. She once tried to destroy all music and replace it with hard rock, until all the tribes united and became friends. It had been two years and seven months since then. Barb and I were friends now, and things were going swell, especially my relationship with Branch.

I grabbed my crown and headed out the door, admiring the nice day. As I took in the nice environment, I started singing.

"Got to make a move to a town that's right for me."

"Time to keep me moving keep me grooving with some energy."

"Well, I talk about it, talk about it, talk about it."

"Talk about, talk about, talk about moving!"

I passed by Biggie and Legsly, who were doing some photos with Mr. Dinkles.

"Hey guys!" I said as I walked by.

"Hey Poppy!" They said joyfully.

"Mew!" Mr. Dinkles squeaked.

I kept walking around, singing as I went along.

"Won't you take me to...Funkytown?"

"Won't you take me to...Funnnnnkytown!?"

I kept walking, moving around the village, with everyone else joining in.

"Won't you take us to... Funkytown?"

"Won't you take us to...Funnnnnkytown!?"

With that last one, we all struck a victory pose, as per usual. After that I went off to find Branch, probably in his bunker if I had to guess.

"Hey guys!" I said to everybody around me, though they seemed to murmur to themselves when I wasn't looking. I had gotten used to this since I started hanging out with Barb, but I wasn't too worried. It probably didn't mean anything bad, right?

Suddenly I saw something in the distance getting closer. I looked closer and I saw that it was Barb's pet bat, Debbie, flying in with something. The bat crashed down in front of me, holding onto a small envelope. I took it out and read it to myself to avoid suspicions.

Dear Queen Poppy, it said, you are hereby invited to Volcano Rock City for the concert honoring the 24th birthday of Queen Barb of the Hard Rock Trolls, whom will be performing herself. Please be there by 4:30 and dress well for the occasion.

Huh, it's her birthday today, I thought, that'll be interesting!

"That from Barb?" asked Branch, who had come up from behind.

"Yeah, it's for her birthday tonight, wanna come?"

"Can't," he said, "I promised Biggie I'd watch Mr. Dinkles while he was out visiting his aunt."

"Oh, okay, well I'll tell you all about it when I get back."

"Alright, have fun!" Branch said as he headed off.

I headed back to my pod and opened up my closet, pulling out a small chest labeled "Rocker Gear." Since I was going near the Hard Rock Trolls, figured I should dress for the occasion.

I opened it up to reveal my old Rock outfit, still intact and ready for the night. I put it on, added the black hair dye and eyeliner, frazzled up my hair a bit, and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked like a genuine rocker.

"Rock on!" I said to myself.

I also had something else, a custom guitar pick I made for Barb, with a photo of us on one side of it. Perfect, I thought to myself.

Later that day, I headed off to Volcano Rock City, which was only an hour away. I landed near the flyer pad for all the incoming visitors, which was pretty packed.

As soon as I landed, I put the present for Barb in my side pocket for safekeeping, and got off. No sooner did I get off did I hear a familiar voice.

"Sup, Popsqueak?"