-23-

-23-

Imani couldn't believe that Derrick was still sitting at a table waiting to talk to her. It was closing time, and he had stayed for a little over an hour.

Imani made sure everything was clean and prepared for tomorrow.

Imani walked over to where Derrick sat, using his thumb to scroll through his phone.

"It's time for you to go," she said, glaring down at him.

Derrick stood up, putting his phone in the front pocket of his jeans.

"We need to talk," he said, stepping closer to her.

Imani stepped back. "No, we don't."

"Everything okay?" James asked, glancing between Imani and Derrick.

"Everything is fine," she said. "You can leave. I'll lock up."

"Are you sure?" he asked, staring wearily at Derrick.

"Yes, now go," she said, smiling at James.

"Alright. See you tomorrow," he said, walking out the door.

"Do you and him have something going on?" Derrick asked.

Imani scoffed. "No, we don't. Even if we did, it would be no business of yours."

"I didn't come here to argue," he said, with a frown.

"Then leave," she said, continuing to glare at him.

He sighed and stepped closer. This time Imani didn't step back.

"I came to apologize," he said, scanning her face.

"For what?" she asked, crossing her arms under her breasts.

"You were right," he said, showing so many emotions in his eyes.

"About what?"

"Damn it, Imani," he said, raking his hands over his fade.

Imani continued to stare at the frustrated look on his face. Whatever he wanted to tell her she knew he was having a hard time saying it.

"Look, I don't have time for this," she said. "You need to leave so I can lock up."

"I was scared," he said.

"What did you say?" she asked.

His tone was so low when he spoke she thought she was mistaken about what he had said.

Derrick reached out and grabbed her by the waist. Imani tried to get out of his grasp but he held her tighter. She stopped trying to leave his hold on her since his grip was too strong and she didn't really want to leave anyway.

"I said you were right about me being scared," he said. "After I kissed you that night, I never had feelings erupt within me and I never felt like that from being with a woman before."

Imani placed her hands against his muscled chest. "What kind of feelings?"

"The kind where I want to protect you and take care of you. The kind where the thought of you being with another man makes me sick," he said, brushing her cheek with his thumb.

Imani shied away from his gaze. "I'm still mad at you," she said. "You hurt my feelings."

He lifted her chin so that she was looking directly into his eyes.

"I'm so sorry. I was dumb. I plan on making it up to you," he said, continuing to rub his thumb against her cheek.

"You don't have to. I can't be with you," she said, remembering what her mother told her.

She watched his brows furrow into a deep-set frown.

"I thought you had feelings for me," he said.

"I do," she said, glancing away.

"Then, why are you telling me we can't be together?" he asked, tilting her chin to look up at him once again.

"It's complicated."

"Help me to understand."

Imani swallowed the lump in her throat.

"You're right. I'm just a woman who works in a coffee shop who wants to be an artist but can't be," she said.

"Imani, baby, you know I didn't mean that." He placed his hand against her cheek once again.

Imani closed her eyes.

"It's the truth. I'm not a good artist and you only said that I was because you feel sorry for me. I understand that now," she said, stepping out of his grasp.

"Imani, please don't say that about yourself. I only said that so you wouldn't like me anymore. I was trying to push you away." He reached for her again but she stepped back.

"I have nothing left to say," she said, glancing away from him.

Imani heard him sigh. He walked closer and stood beside her.

"I'm not giving up on you," he said.

Imani let out a breath she didn't know she was holding once she heard the door slam shut.

***

Hey, guys. What do you think of Derrick apologizing? What do you think of Imani telling him they can't be together? Let me know what you think in the comment section below. If you enjoyed this chapter, don't forget to comment, vote, and share:).