-26-

-26-

Imani squeezed her eyes shut at the throbbing of her head. She had taken some aspirin ten minutes ago, and she hoped it would hurry and take effect. It was her fault for crying all night long.

Imani removed the covers from over her head. She grabbed her phone from off the bedside table. It was six in the morning; it read. She groaned at that. She wanted to go back to sleep, but her mind had other plans.

It was the weekend, and she was off from work. That was good because all she wanted to do was be lazy and eat junk food all day long.

Imani stared at her phone replying to a text from Jada telling her how she thought she was in love with Chris. Imani chuckled and texted her back telling her she wanted to meet him soon.

Imani then replied with a text back to Camilla after Camilla said she missed seeing her in class. Imani told her they would hang out soon and that text seemed to make Camilla happy judging from the happy emojis she texted her back with.

Imani's smile turned into a pout when she saw no text messages or missed calls from Derrick. The tears pricked her eyes as she set the phone back down on the table.

What did she want from Derrick? Did she expect him to come back to her time and time again? She had already told him to leave her alone. When he asked her why she was afraid and when they could see each other again, she had no answer.

She had to chalk it up to him not wanting her anymore. Imani knew she wasn't worth it but she had still hoped that they could be together like she wanted.

Imani groaned when the pain hit her full force followed by her cell phone ringing. Imani rushed to pick up the cell only to find it was her mother calling.

"Mom, I can't come in today," Imani said, as soon as she accepted the call.

"I'm not calling you for that," Gabriella said, irritation lacing her tone.

Imani sighed.

"I set up a blind date for you at seven tonight," she said, matter of fact.

Imani rubbed at her temple with her free hand.

"I'm not in the mood for a date."

"It's too late. I already set up the date. He is expecting you."

Imani imagined her mother with a frown and a glare even though Imani was nowhere in her vicinity.

"Can we do it some other time?"

Preferably never.

"No, we can't. There's a reservation for the two of you at that newly opened Italian restaurant downtown. He can't get his money back for that."

"I didn't agree to this damn date in the first place," she said, gripping the phone tighter.

All that Imani heard was silence on the other end of the line.

"Mom, I'm sorr-"

"I'll be there to make sure you're ready," she said, before ending the call.

Imani laid her head back against the pillows. She didn't want to go on a date with someone other than Derrick, but her mother had asked. She wanted her to be happy and proud of her.

Imani sighed as she wondered what she should wear to the date.

Imani was getting out of the shower, with a towel wrapped around her body, when she heard a knock at the door.

Imani's headache lessened but there was still a throbbing pain that hadn't resided. The knock at the door made it worse.

Imani trudged to the door. She looked through the peephole and saw her mother glaring at the door.

Imani hadn't remembered the last time she smiled.

Imani opened the door only to have her mother barge into her living room. Imani shut the door and walked over to where her mother was standing.

Imani watched as her mother swiped her index finger along the dining room table. Her mother shook her head. She glanced down at her finger and her frown deepened.

"You need to clean up more," she said, still shaking her head.

"I didn't think you would actually come over," Imani said, shivering from the cool air hitting her damp skin.

"I told you I would. Plus, you need all the help you can get," she said, scanning Imani's body.

"Have you gained weight?" she asked, her eyes zeroing in on Imani's stomach.

Imani shrugged. "Maybe, I haven't noticed."

Yes, you have.  You've noticed and so did Kahlil.

"Well, you need to do something about that. Get a trainer as I do. Anyways, I brought you some dresses to try."

Imani wrapped her arm around her waist. She then glanced down at the different dresses her mother held. She hadn't even noticed them when she came in.

"Choose one and I'll do your hair and make-up."

"Okay," Imani mumbled.

Imai glanced at herself in the mirror. Too much make-up. I like my curly hair, she thought touching her bone-straight hair. Derrick likes it too.

Imani looked away from the mirror trying her hardest to reel in her emotions. She might even have fun on the date so no use in crying over him.

"You look beautiful," her mother said, admiring her work.

"Thanks," Imani said, with a small smile.

"I texted you the address of the restaurant and a picture of him. When you get to the restaurant just ask for Mark William's reservation."

"Okay."

Imani grabbed her black clutch that matched her red spaghetti-strapped dress. She grabbed her cell phone off the nightstand and walked towards the front door.

Imani glanced at the picture on her phone of the so-called Mark Williams once she got in her car and put in the address for the restaurant.

He was a light-skinned black guy. He was cute but he wasn't as handsome as Derrick.

Imani sighed. She started the engine and pulled out of the parking lot wondering how she was going to last through the date without breaking out into tears.

***

Hey, guys. I know you guys will be mad at this chapter lol. Sorry. What do you think of Iman's mother making her go out on a date? What do you think of Imani excepting it? Let me know what you think in the comment section below. If you enjoyed this chapter, don't forget to comment, vote, and share :).