Chapter one

My day was going on swiftly. I had just moved from Nakuru to Nairobi to further my studies in the great University Of Nairobi, pursuing a bachelors degree in law. Relocating was stressful since it was one of the busiest town in Kenya and surely the biggest. Everybody was too busy to know or talk to his neighbor.

I was walking in town finalizing my shopping activities for the house I was renting. My boyfriend, Peter, called me just after I  finished to do the shopping. My hands were full so I shifted the carrier bags to my right hand that was at least able to carry the heavy goods I had bought, "if only he was here to help me" I thought. I picked up the phone and talked as I walked to the bus station.

Peter was calling to check up on me as he always does when we were apart, I left him in Nakuru when I relocated about a week ago. He could have moved out with me but I convinced him to stay since it was only a 2 hour drive from Nakuru, and he promised me a  visit as often as he could manage. I was still on the phone when this guy just bumped into me and fell my phone.

"What the f##k? You broke my phone" I shouted almost crying.
"Watch where you are going " is what he said as he continued to walk to wherever the hell he was going to. I didn't get a good look at him since I was still starring at my innocent phone on the floor. He had the audacity to ignore my cry and walk out like nothing happened. "Men are trash" I murmured to my self as I prepared to pick my new (now broken) phone from the floor.

As I was still examining my phone, a guy snatched half my shopping, I did not know what to do, still shocked by the events happening to me on the first week. I remembered I was told Nairobi is dangerous. Nobody even blinked as many watched what was happening but no one made an attempt to help, some were even discussing and laughing at the my poor soul. Only one person shouted "mwizi"(thief)  but nobody followed up. It was like a nightmare.

Somebody told me "ukiendelea kukaa hapo utaibiwa kila kitu" (if I continue to stand there, then I will continue being robbed till I remain with nothing). I decided to go home to process what was happening slowly. As I was walking a shopkeeper nearby said "karibu Nairobi,"(welcome to Nairobi) and a group of people laughed at  me.