Chapter Two

Willa's POV

Willa was awoken by her Aunt Maisie shaking her violently, causing her to slowly drift away from the sweet sensation of sleep. “Willa! You’re going to be late for school!" she screamed.

Willa rolled onto her side, nodding her head slightly before going back to sleep. Maisie frustratingly pulled the duvet off Willa in an attempt to wake her up. When that didn’t work, she marched into the kitchen and filled up a glass of water. She walked back into Willa’s room and threw the water on her, but just as quickly as it had made contact with her arm, it was up in the air in a small ball, being held there by a half-asleep sixteen year old.

“Maisssiiieeee.” Willa growled. “I don’t wanna go to school.” Maisie exited her nieces room to let her get dressed.  Willa stomped out of her pyjama bottoms and attempted to put on a pair of sleek, black tights, before clumsily falling over. Giving up immediately, she stepped into a pair of small, light blue, denim shorts. She slid her t-shirt over her head and tossed it on her bed before yawning and putting on a frilly, teal t-shirt. She pulled on her black converse and lightly ran her fingers through her curly hair, staring into the mirror. She applied a touch of lipstick and mascara, before picking up a golden love-heart locket.

It was a locket her mother had when she was Willa’s age. She only ever took it off at bedtime so’s not to damage it. She put it on, gently clicking and closing it around her neck. Sighing, she whispered, "Here we go again."

-!-

Willa dashed up the stairs and ran around the corner, urgently punching in the combination to her locker and yanking the door open. She quickly grabbed her art supplies before slamming the locker shut and racing down the hallway towards the classroom. The second she burst into the room, she whispered a quick apology to her teacher, Mrs. Shutters, and hurried to her seat.

As she searched for her paintbrush, a splash of light blue paint hit her hard on the cheek. Shit’s about to go down.

Willa shivered as she realized who it was. Max Greenwood. A student who had bullied Willa for as long as she could remember. She turned back to her work quickly, giving up on finding her own paintbrush and grabbing a random one from the nearby mug. She tried to focus, but more and more paint began to splatter all over her hair and face, and she glanced over her shoulder again, sending Max a glare. Oh, if looks could kill.

Max laughed rudely, pointing at her while his friends laughed with him. Willa, frustrated, grabbed her pot of red paint and held it in the air, ready to aim at Max, when—

:Miss Huntress!” Bellowed the art teacher's voice angrily. The paint dripped onto Willa’s leg, she quickly tried wiping it away, making it worse, she turned around quickly to face her teacher.

“Y-yes...Mrs. Shutters?” Willa stuttered, biting her lip.

“Detention.” 

Okay, woah, let's backtrack a bit before this all goes down.

Willa was born and raised in Manhattan, New York. When she was a toddler, while driving on a bridge on the way home with her adoptive parents, the bridge suddenly collapsed. The car crashed into the icey cold water, but Willa could breathe. She was in no danger. But tragically, as she was rescued, her parents perished. Her aunt Maisie took her in, but hasn't told her very much about her birth parents nor her adoptive parents, as she doesn't remember any of them very well. All she had of her mother was a golden heart-shaped locket. There were no pictures in it, but it had belonged to her adoptive mother, so she kept it. WIlla didn’t know she was adopted, so she accepted it as her birth mother’s locket.

“But, Mrs--” she began, before the teacher dismissed her. She glanced over her shoulder to see Max and his friends snickering. Willa grabbed her art supplies and walked quietly out of the classroom, trying, once more, to wipe away the red paint which had now stained her leg.