Chapter 6: Tie a knot

Alice's POV

"Oh? What a lovely ring you have there." I flinched and almost drop my heart out when I heard a familiar voice. Of all time, why now?!

I turned to where the voice comes from and from the moment our eyes met, cold sweat breaks out as I try to hide the nervousness.

"O-oh? Thank you grandma, what brings you here?"

After all the chase and trouble I went through I barely have the energy to spare, should I just tell her the truth? no, after all the lies I just told her yesterday I'm getting this feeling that I'll be the one getting the end of the rope.

What should I do?!

Lumapit siya sakin and gives me a beso-beso greeting, as she holds me up hangang makatayo ako.

"Well, I was planning on a surprise morning visit; it has been a year since I dropped by his place--oh! Didn't you say from last time na pag luluto mo ako? Where's Darius?" Ha? Shocks! I remember lying to her na pagluluto ko siya when she dropped by our place! Dang, my lies will be the end of me!--but if I confessed--

"Madam, excuse me we got a call from Mr. Cruz." One of her guards came and handed her a phone. Kinuha niya to and excused herself as she mouthed.

"Sorry, wait lang." No, grandma! It's me who should be sorry--

"What nonsense are you telling me?! The investors lied? We have been conned?--then what are you waiting for? Don't let them get away; report them immediately to the police! Block every transaction and deal we signed--then tracked them." My hope keeps getting shattered the more she talks about the people who conned her. What timing is this?! saktong aamin ako, saktong may ganitong nangyare?!

"Sorry for sudden interference, by the way, I'm Mendes. It's very nice to meet you in person, Darius addresses me as 'old man'" A man in 40's approached me; we shake our hands as a greeting. Hindi ko alam pano mag re-react for a mere moment but instinct came in.

I immediately collected my composure up and decided to act like I'm meeting one of my investors.

"Track them down!" Darius grandma's threatening voice pierced its way through my conscience. As if every word she keeps on sending daggers to me! I can imagine myself mentally breaking down at this point behind keeping up a face here.

Oh my goodness! Feeling ko tuloy pinariringgan ako! I fit the shoes perfectly! I have to make my way out of this! Act Alice! Act! It's now or never!

"Oh, for someone who looks young? How dare is he to call you that way. I'm sorry for my husband's manners." I said and bit my tongue inside my mouth. Okay, there's no backing out now. I can't confess and keep my dignity at this rate, I have to keep going and make sure na hindi ako mahuli. If not, I'll be really having the end of the rope here. I need to think fast and get out of this situation fast! this is the worst timing facing off with another close figure kay Darius.

Argh! you douchebag! sobra na to! he helped me out there nung nasa harap ko sila Leo pero iba ng usapan na to kung may dadagdag pa!

"Oh no, don't worry about it!" He said following him a contagious laugh, Ah-haha-dang it--what should I say now?

"Darius grew up calling me that way so kasalanan ko rin kung bakit hanggang ngayon ganon tawag niya sakin--Oh! nakwento niya ba yon sayo?" Ha? haha--no! wala siyang kwinento since the beginning! Haha--can I just skip this time and run instead? I thought while keeping up a friendly smile.