chapter two, bjh

Running her hand along the intricately carved hilt of the butter knife, Bae Joohyun lightly smirks to herself. However, an unexplainable melancholy rests deep in her almond shaped eyes. The way the sunlight falls on the blade and makes it gleam ever so slightly, the way the carved stars on the hilt feel under her fingers, the way the tip is oddly sharp for a butter knife — Joohyun revels all that, exclaiming her love of sharp things every few minutes, making fellow diners look her way.

Her manager stares at her with a worried expression on his face, and refuses to meet her eyes. Joohyun leans across the circular table and peers into his eyes, asking, "What are you doing?" He flits his eyes across her face, but continues to stay mute.

Joohyun quirks one perfect angled eyebrow and whispers, "What's the matter, Sangin oppa?" Her every syllable flirts, but Sangin can tell that her perception of him hasn't changed a bit - to Joohyun, he is still an annoying vermin, to always be played with and toyed with. Although he's sick of it, he can't risk losing his job.

"Jesus, Irene. What do you think I'm doing? Ripping off my cuticles because I'm stressed, that's what!" Sangin shouts in an angry burst, to which one of the cute waitresses puts a finger to her lips, shooting him a disapproving look. He offers her a quick bow in apology, then looks at Joohyun, and then quickly shrinks under her judging gaze - fluidly, all in one movement.

Pocketing the knife, she rises from the table, and says, "I'll be taking this. It's pretty. Pay for us, oppa." As she strolls off into the distance, swinging the wide glass door shut behind her, Sangin mutters a few less than complimentary things after her. He places his credit card on the counter before one of the waitresses, and leans in, pushing his cat eye sunglasses to the top of his head.

"Has anyone ever told you that you're one of the prettiest woman on Earth?" he winks, taking up the girl from head to toe. Her reply is unexpected.

"Yes. Many times. None of my relationships ever last, because all men are assholes." With one final gesture, she swipes the card through the slot, hands Sangin his bill, smiles sweetly, and points towards the door.

Sangin knows what defeat feels like. He clears his throat, his cheeks growing red as their hands touch during the bill hand-off. However, he doesn't hesitate to place his business card upon the table, and then saunters trough the door with one last farewell.

When he meets Joohyun outside the restaurant, she is already sitting inside their midnight black Porsche, the door barely open. As soon as he steps foot into the front seat, Seungjae - the art director - pipes up with her question. "Did you hit on some waitress again?"

"No, he got rejected," Joohyun answers gracefully, a small grin pulling her mouth upwards. Before Sangin can protest, she puts a perfectly manicured finger to his lips. "You got rejected. Admit it."

Sighing in defeat, he nods his head twice. "Right, I got rejected. But I did hand her my business card."

"Your business card? Why? Do you expect her to call you, or text you?" Joohyun questions, amusement written all over her face. 

Sangin's cheeks flare up for the second time that day, embarrassment getting the better of him. "Yeah, that's why I left it." He presses on his knuckles gently, the satisfying crack somewhat easing the awkward atmosphere inside the car. Suddenly, he notices how hot it is inside. "S- Seungjae, turn on the AC." He looks out of his window, avoiding the eyes of his two female companions.

"Oppa, get rid of your foolish hope. Hope is poison, hope is a disease. Hope is what gets you carried away in stupid fantasies and roots you down. Instead, accept your current fate and your current capabilities, like me. That would be the best." Joohyun's unsettling glare doesn't leave the back of Sangin's head until he mutters a faint yes.

"Seungjae! Step on it! We have somewhere to go, don't we?" Joohyun says, excitement - and something darker. Hunger, perhaps? - lacing her voice. Seungjae does so, and the trio set off into the distance, leaving behind the nameless diner and a few puffy clouds of dust behind.