Chapter Six: Spirits of the Forest

Talia's castle, it turned out, was little more than a stone-brick cottage built into the side of a muddy sloped hill. A small barn came off the side of the house, the front gaping wide open to reveal three baby mantas huddling near the far wall, their heads tucked under their wings in sleep. A stepping-stone path wound its way up to the front doorstep, small trees bearing plump pink fruits lining the walkway. 

     "C'mon, slow pokes!" Talia called, waving for the others to follow as she marched up the path to the doorway. She shoved aside a piece of pink cloth that acted as the buildings door and slipped inside, leaving the elders alone in the rain.

     Tun looked at the building for a moment, then turned to give his sister a joking look. "You know, I wouldn't quite call this a castle. . ."

     Tor smiled behind her mask and rolled her eyes. "You know, it was your idea to follow her; not mine." she leaned forward in her seat and carefully lifted the blanket-wrapped child in her arms. "So stop your complaining!"

     "What!?" Tun asked with mock insult. "Me? Complaining? When have I ever complained about anything!?"

     Tor smirked and stood up in the manta's saddle, careful not to let the child slip from her rain-soaked arms. "You complain more than the rest of the valley combined, and trust me, that's saying something!" Before her brother could respond, Tor hopped off the manta's back, landing on the muddy ground below with a splash.

     Tun quickly followed her lead, bouncing out of the saddle and touching down on the forest-floor next to his twin. For a moment, neither elder spoke as they stared up at the stone building before them, then Tor broke the silence.

     She glanced back at the manta who floated uncertainly in the rain behind them. "We'll be back, soon." she said softly and nodded up the path to the barn where the baby mantas slept. "I'm sure no one will mind if you stay in there for awhile."

     The manta gave a small hoot of appreciation, then flapped its wings once, easily floating up the hill. It ducked its gold plated head beneath the lip of the roof and slipped inside, careful not to wake the trio of smaller creatures that huddled beside it.

     Tor paused, watching the manta for a long moment, then turned her attention to the child in her arms. They still glowed, but the golden light was noticeably dimmer. Anyone just passing by probably wouldn't even notice. . . She winced as she looked up into the child's eyes. They still shone just as brightly as ever. . .

     As if reading her mind, Tun pointed a thumb down at the child. "We're not really planning on bringing the kid inside, are we?" he asked uncertainly, kicking at a clump of grass with his already muddy boot. "They're a little. . . Uhh, you know, glowy?" 

     "I noticed. . ." Tor muttered then sighed, shaking her head. "But it doesn't feel right to leave them out here. . ." she glanced back over her shoulder into the dark, damp forest, her eyes narrowing into the shadow cloaked trees. "Anything could happen to them. . ."

     "You're so paranoid!" Tun laughed, slowly shaking his head.

     "Could be worse. . . I mean, I could be dead." Tor turned back to her brother with a small smile and stomped hard on his foot. She spun back to the house and took off, feet spraying mud up behind her. "Last one to the house is rotten crab-meat!"

     "Oi!" Tun yelled, a grin spreading across his face as he launched into a run, chasing his sister up the winding path towards the stone-brick house.

     In seconds, the two elders had crossed the muddy yard, Tun arriving only moments behind his sister. They shoved past the pink fabric door, nearly tripping over each other to be the first one inside.