Chapter 12

"I'm thinking of going to see mom today," I say as we sit at the table eating breakfast. "Talking of which, you've never even bothered to see her."

"I'll come with you today."

It's been 4 days since I last spoke to Phoenix. My mind has been wandering and every time he calls or sends a text message I feel the urge to tell him everything. My dad and I have been inside the house, bumping into each other on the way to the kitchen, and occasionally meeting at the table for meals.

"When are you going back to work?"

"Not for a while. I'm sorry for hitting you the other day."

"Just never do it again. I'll go and take a shower and then we can go."

I take my plate to the kitchen and walk up to my bedroom. My phone reads 5 missed calls from this morning, all of which are from Phoenix.

When I'm done showering, I go downstairs where my dad is already waiting for me.

"We should pass by the florist. Your mother really likes orchids."

"Yeah, sure."

I'm starting to feel a slight shift in my dad's character. He doesn't even drink as much as he used to.

We get into the car together and drive down to the local florist.

"So how's he like, you know, how is he?"

"You mean your son? Phoenix? You can say his name out loud you know."

"Yes, Phoenix." He says his name like it burns his tongue to say it.

"He's a really nice person. He's got Charles's eyes but looks a lot like his mother."

"You met Savannah?"

"Yes, dad I met your high school fling. Does she know who I am? Like does she know that I'm your daughter? Because if she does I think it's a bit weird that she didn't tell her son that he was dating his sister just to keep him away from you."

"I don't know what she knows Maya. Do you like these?" he points to white orchids.

"They're pretty."

"Okay here's my card, you can pay for them, I'll wait in the car."

I stand in the line, and my phone buzzes for a message.

Phoenix: I'm really worried about you. Can you at least send a text just so I can know that you're alright?

I consider texting back but decide to put my phone back in my jacket pocket.

***

My father hesitates a bit before walking through the hospital doors.

"Are you scared to see her?"

"Yes."

We walk down the corridors towards my mother's room, and I knock lightly on her door. Her slim figure emerges from behind the door. I turn to look at my father, who looks dumbstruck as if seeing her for the first time.

"Hi mom," I say as she pulls me into a tight hug, "dad thought he'd join me today."

"I'm so happy to see you both. Let's all go to the living room, it's too cold outside."

We walk to the living room together, mom and I side by side and dad behind us.

We sit at a table in a quiet room with white walls and comfortable chairs.

"When did they say you're coming home, you have been here for ages," I say to break the silence. "Dad and I miss you so much, right dad?"

"We do."

"I should be back in a few days love, I really miss being home."

"Yeah, dad has something to tell you," I turn to look at my father, "tell her dad."

"We...the house...it's not the same without you."

My mother reaches out for my father's hand, "I'll be stronger when I get back, things will be normal again."

***

My father and I walk back to the car, side by side in silence. The automatic doors open in front of us, and I bump into Phoenix on our way out.

"Phoenix."

"Somaya."

"It's good to see you, this is my dad."

Phoenix leans in closer and extends his hand to shake my dad's hand, who is frozen in his tracks, with a mix of terror and confusion on his face. Phoenix's hand retreats, and I can tell he feels rejected by my father.

"Phoenix I'll call you, we have to go. Let's go dad."

"Maya that is a bit unfair, don't you think? You've been ignoring me for days and I don't even get an explanation? Just you trying to run away from me?"

"Things are...complicated. We'll talk."

I brush past him and my dad follows close by as if his own brain has abandoned him and he has to copy everything I do.