Chapter 13

"Get dressed Maya, we're fetching mom today," says my dad from outside the door. "May I come in?"

"Yeah."

I open my eyes slowly, the sun piercing into my room through the window. My father stands awkwardly by the door, holding a cereal bowl.

"Mom is coming home?'

He walks towards my bed and sits on the edge, facing away from me with his head down.

"Yes, she is."

"That's really good news...but are you okay?"

"Maya I haven't been the father and husband I should be."

"It's not too late to change that going forward."

"I can't stop thinking about that boy. When I saw him for the first time, my heart sank. I saw a bit of myself in him and I thought about everything he's lost because of me. Here, I made you some cereal."

He hands me the bowl and I wrap my hands around it, feeling the warmth coming from the warm milk inside it.

"When you were little, you absolutely hated cereal with cold milk. The cereal wouldn't soften up enough and it just set you off." He lets out a soft and short laugh. I struggle to contain my own smile at the pureness of the moment.

"Yeah, I totally still hate cold milk in cereal."

"In that case, I'm glad I could do something right."

I throw a spoon of cereal into my mouth.

"Mmh no I don't think so, too much sugar."

He looks at me and we both laugh.

"I need your help when mom comes back. Let's make her happy to be at home again."

***

We drive back from the hospital with mom sitting in the passenger seat and me at the back. This is our first care ride without Charles. The drive is silent and I start thinking about how different life would've been with Phoenix around. I have been Charles's older sister, but now I get to be Phoenix's younger sister. I cringe at the thought of us kissing at his apartment.

"Dan the police department called today," says my mom to break the silence.

"They could've called me, I don't want you stressing about things."

"Well it was relatively good news."

"What did they say?"

"Apparently a house close to where Charles was run over has a camera that captured the whole accident. The person driving the car could not be identified, but the number plate is visible."

"That's really good news honey. And have they found out who the car belongs to?"

"Investigations are being done, but the driver is not from around here. The number plate is from another city."

It's almost been a month since Charles's death and I had already lost hope in finding the culprit. I start to feel hopeful again, the person who killed my brother will finally get the punishment they deserve.

We arrive at the house and my father helps my mother with her bags.

"How about I cook today."

"Dan you can't fry an egg," teases my mother.

"That's why Maya will help me."

My mother's surprised gaze shifts from my father to me and back to him again.

"Yeap, I'll help you dad."

"Well then let's get started."