Chapter 1

Mitchie's POV

It's been an entire month since Spencer and I broke up. He and I were together for two years before he called it quits. Now, social media is coming up with many theories behind our breakup.

"I heard he cheated on her with one of her backup dancers." False.

"I heard she went all psycho on him and threatened him with a gun." Definitely false!

"Maybe it was mutual." Unfortunately, that's not true either.

The truth is he and I were having problems for some time, and I guess it reached a boiling point.

As I sit at my makeup table, I stare at myself in the mirror.

"Who are you?" I whisper to myself. Suddenly, there's a knock on my door; there stood my mother.

"You're on in five," she says. "Are you gonna be okay?"

"I don't know," I answer. She walks over to me and hugs me from behind.

"Hey," Mom says. I look up to face her, seeing the pity in her eyes. "I believe in you, honey. Forget about that boy." She gives me a kiss on the forehead and leaves my dressing room. Once again, I look at myself in the mirror, wondering how things went wrong.

This isn't working out.

Those words echo in my head so loud that I couldn't bear it. I stand and walk out of my dressing room.

Connect 3's POV

We're minutes away from performing our final song of the night, except we had no idea what it was gonna be.

"Maybe introducing me?" Jason suggests.

"No." Shane and Nate reply. Suddenly, Jason gets a Twitter notification; his eyes get wide.

"Guys, Mitchie is missing."

"What?" Shane says. He grabs Jason's phone and reads the headline:

Singer-songwriter Mitchie Torres walks out of concert stadium and is nowhere to be found

"That doesn't sound like Mitchie," Nate says. "To just disappear without saying anything to anyone."

"Shane," Jason says, tapping on Shane's shoulder. "Are you okay?" Shane stands there, frozen with the phone in his hand.

"I think I know what song we should sing," Shane says. Jason and Nate look at each other, then at Shane. "Trust me."

10 minutes later

Our manager knocks on our dressing room door.

"You boys ready?" he asks.

"Yep," Shane says, looking at Jason and Nate. "We're ready." We exit our dressing room and head out to the stage.

"You sure you'll be okay?" Nate asks Shane.

"Yeah," Shane answers. "Why?"

"You completely froze up last show."

"It was kind of embarrassing," Jason adds. Shane and Nate look back at him. "Am I wrong?"

"I've got this," Shane says. "I'll be fine."

We get on the stage, and the fans are screaming and cheering.

"Did y'all have a great time tonight?" Shane asks the fans. They cheer in response. "The next song is an oldie but a goodie. You're welcome to sing along if you know the words." The fans cheer and clap; Nate and Jason begin to strum their guitars as the applause dies down.

Every time I think I'm closer to the heart

Of what it means to know just who I am

I think I've finally found a better place to start

But no one ever seems to understand

I need to try to get to where you are

Could it be we're not that far

As Shane sings the chorus, everyone in the crowd sings along harmoniously. Shane thinks about the first time he sang this song to Mitchie. By the lake at Camp Rock.