Moving Diagonally

The letter was out of the envelope again less than five minutes after Hermione had put it away. And this was the third such rotation that morning. The poor letter had been in and out more times than a Hokey Cokey champion, and shaken all about just as much. Hermione's excuse was that she needed to memorise the supply list, even though she had the letter right there in her breast pocket for reference should she need it.

Hermione stuck to her flimsy reasoning, but Lyra, Papageno and Mal saw through the ruse as easily as if it were made of glass. For Hermione could already recite the supply list if they asked her, which they often did randomly, as a sort of game to confirm their suspicions. No, Hermione wasn't reading the letter constantly to simply go over their itinerary. In fact, she only ever had her eye on one part ...

The part where Harry Potter had signed his name.

For that was the part Hermione had recited first, not to mention read the most. She had been excited enough to have been accepted into Hogwarts, putting to bed the lingering doubts that Mr Dumbledore had cast on her plan when he told her that she might not be granted a place at the prestigious magical academy. The arrival of the letter was greeted with relief by all concerned, but that relief transformed into mindless euphoria when Hermione read the letter's adieu.

"Miss Lyra!" Hermione had practically screamed when she first read the name. "Look! It's him! It's from him!"

"Well of course it is," Lyra had frowned back. "Mr Dumbledore said he'd send the letter -"

"- no, no ... not Dumbledore!" Hermione had cried imploringly, cutting Lyra off abruptly. "It's from him ... from my Mr Potter!"

"Let me take a look at that," Malcolm had insisted, before reading the name and grinning. "Well, either that or this world has an unusual penchant for names."

"That's a fair point," Lyra mused, taking the letter so that she and Pantalaimon could read it next. "Harry could be a woman ... Harriet, maybe."

"But would the Deputy Headmistress be so informal, on an official piece of correspondence?" Papageno asked sensibly. "I don't know any teacher that would, especially on a first time of interaction."

"True," Mal agreed. "Still, it remains quite curious why Mr Potter would have signed the letter, or even had anything to do with the process at all."

"I say serendipitous," Hermione sang happily. "It's a sign that we are on the right track. A good omen."

"I don't know that I believe in signs or omens," Mal returned with a grimace.

"Then lighten up and start believing," Lyra teased. "Our Hermione has just had the first bit of contact with her future love ... and it's happened just like that. As if by design. I think that Dust has followed us into this world, you know. I'm happy for you at least, Hermione."

Hermione beamed back. This was the pattern the last few months had taken. Ever since the Longbottoms had begun educating them about this strange world, other decisions had been made, too. Namely that Lyra and Malcolm would have to assume the role of Hermione's parents, and play it convincingly. Almost naturally, Mal had become the voice of caution and sense, whereas Lyra was playful, mischievous and tended to side with Hermione to tease Mal, almost like a Mother and Daughter coven.

If Hermione wasn't careful, there was a chance she might forget that this was just a cover scheme and not the real thing ... a trap that Lyra, herself, had fallen into months and months ago.

But Hermione had plenty of other things to keep her occupied, and Mal's curious observance about why Harry Potter had written her Hogwarts letter was principle among these.