Chapter Two

c h a p t e r        t w o

2016, July
London

Tumapat ako sa harap ng salamin at tinignan kung naaayon nga ba ang kasuotan ko. I wore my one-and-only 90's Trucker denim Jacket from Levi's which I got for a whooping £72.00—to me was a bit too much for a piece of denim knowing well that I only earn under a hundred. Under that was a plain white tee and skinny jeans. Put on my converse shoes—one of the three pairs of footwear I own. One last glimpse from the mirror before I put on my backpack which included my camera and other stuffs.

I came to London to attend a fair. Nakita ko lang ang ads nila sa balita kaya naman agad akong lumipad papunta rito. Isang buong Linggo ako dito bago ako uuwing N.Y. Sa fair pala na magaganap, magbebenta rin ako ng mga pieces ko at sana may bumili. May apat akong dala, iyong panghuli ay kukunan namin at iyong may pinakamagandang kuha ang siyang mananalo.

Ngayon palang gaganapin ang contest.  I hopped on the bus and went on my way.

"Excuse me, could you move your bag please."

"Sorry." I didn't bother looking and just moved my bag, put it on my lap and took a nap with my earphonea plugged in. It was a thirty-minute ride.

My alarm went on which woke me up.   And the most embarrassing moment of my existence was having to wake up leaning on a man's shoulder. "Sorry. Excuse me." Then get off the bus. I'll walk to the contest area just to brush off the embarrassing scene out of my head.

"Okay. We'll give you 20 minutes to capture three pieces and afterwards will be the judgement." They instructed. I was still thinking what to take when somebody talked to me.

"Oh. You again." I am so confused. I am sure I don't know anyone in London. No one.

"I'm sorry. I think you've got the wrong person."

"I..."

I left him there and went on my way but he suddenly showed up and I have no choice but to face him because I only have 20 minutes and I need to get three good photos or I will have no bread on my plate for the next days.

"It's you. I'm sure of it. The one who slept on my shoulders. Well, my shoulder hurts that's why I clearly remembered you." My eyes grew big and avoided eye contact. He's handsome, by the way. Shoosh! Focus.

"I'm really sorry but I don't have the time to talk to you right now and the money to compensate your badly hurt shoulders."

"No. I didn't mean that. It's just that...I find it interesting."

"Okay. Good to know. Bye."

I walked away immediately. Now, I only have 15 minutes and there's no way I'll be taking pictures worthy enough to win.

I saw an alley and I went for it. I was a run down alley, more of like an alley of shops that used to be visited by a lot of people. There's a book shop with a lot of books piled up outside the shop. It seems like they're moving and will be closing the shop. I got a picture  out of it and then left.

I used up remaining five minutes to check on the photos I've taken and submitted my entry. Just as I got myself a warm drink, I saw the young man a while ago, submitting his entry. Then it hit me, I saw him with a camera since the bus incident. He's got quite good lenses.

We presented our works and they start to judge. "Mind if I join you?" he asked and I just gave him a quick nod. I don't mean to be rude. "Didn't know you're participating as well." I said just to keep the atmosphere a bit lighter. "Yeah? But I know you would." I looked at him confusedly. His hazel eyes met my gaze, with those long eyelashes as natural as it can be. "I mean, I saw your bag and I could tell that you're a photographer."