four

“OH MY GOD, ELLIE! ARE you okay?” a voice panicked. Ellie attempted to shake her head, but it hurt way too much. She was pretty sure it was Trina kneeling next to her, but she couldn’t tell because her vision was blurred and there were a lot of people surrounding her.

“Why are they…?” she asked, but for some strange reason it came out as a muffled hum. Her eyes drooped heavily and she blinked sleepily, trying to eradicate the weird feeling.

“She’s alive!” someone else cried out. There was what Ellie thought was a round of applause or something like that. She couldn’t tell because she was so confused and she couldn’t make out anything, it began frustrating her to no ends. She tried to sit up straight, but her body betrayed her, and that made no sense at all because her face was the part that was smacked.

This was worse than the time when Ellie fell off her bike in the second grade and broke her arm, because at least that time, she knew what the heck was happening.

“Ellie, here, sit up,” Trina said quickly. Ellie murmured something incoherent in response and suddenly felt a hand slip beneath her, pushing upper body up. Pain coursed through Ellie’s nerves, especially in her head. She instinctively clutched the right side of her head and groaned.

“What happened?” Ellie asked when she found her voice (well, sort of – it came out as another muffled groan, but Trina was able to understand her).

“You, uh, got hit,” Trina said slowly, keeping her hand on Ellie’s back. “Mr. Moore’s coming down, okay? Just sit still.”

“Am I bleeding?” Ellie asked meekly. “Is that why everyone’s looking at me?” Trina examined Ellie, gently cupping her face and turning her head from one side to the other. Ellie winced at the slight pain.

When Trina shook her head giving her the all clear signal, Ellie sighed in relief, relaxing her muscles.

By the time Mr. Moore came down (which was at least five minutes later), Ellie was coming back to her senses. She could see the mass of people surrounding her, making her feel extremely claustrophobic, but she could see nonetheless. She could feel her fingers the blood began to flow back into her legs. She felt almost fine, except for a pain on her face. She reached out to touch her cheek but stopped when she heard a shout.

“Move out of the way!” Mr. Moore hollered, pushing students aside, almost knocking them over with his big belly. “Out, out, out!”

Once he got up to Ellie, he was exhausted. He propped his hands on his kneecaps for support as he breathed in and out. “E-Ellie, are you a-alright?” he said with a jagged breath that Ellie thought for a moment that he was the one that was hurt.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she said. “I’m o - ”

“Let’s get you to the nurse.” Mr. Moore said abruptly. “Come on, now.”                                        

“No!” Ellie practically screamed, her blue eyes bulging wide. “I’m okay, I’m fine!”

Mr. Moore gave her a glance over, before nodding his head. “If you really say so.”

Ellie sighed, leaning further back against Trina’s support. She shut her eyes and rubbed them tiredly with her fingers.

“No she’s not, Coach,” someone chimed in. Ellie held her breath in and popped her eyes open, narrowing them instantly. She could recognize that annoying, chirpy voice from anywhere.

Ashton Irwin.

“No,” Ellie said coldly tensing against Trina’s hand. “I’m not hurt.”