Chapter 6

Lucas rubs Fake Lucas's muzzle, glancing down as Rainbow scatters seeds through the chicken pen, before reaching in to pat some.

Out of what seemed like nowhere, lightning starts splitting the clear blue sky. Lucas turns around to try and find the source, unaware that Rainbow Steve had frozen in fear.

"It's coming from the house?" Lucas questions. "Why? Is Sabre making a machine? Why would he do that in the house?" As the lightning ceases, Lucas starts towards the house. "I need to figure this out."

"NO!" Rainbow shouts, suddenly out of his fix. He flies over, bowling Lucas to the ground and landing on all fours. "Lucas, you can't!"

Lucas stares at his friend, who is frightened almost to the point of tears yet again. Rainbow glances around, realising that he had gained an audience. He scrambles to his feet, before helping Lucas to his.

"Sabre doesn't allow it, y-you see."

"Allow what?" Lucas asks, beginning to get frustrated from his lack of answers. However, before Rainbow can answer, Nightmare approaches them, placing a hand on Rainbow's shoulder.

"Hey, it's just me," he says, as Rainbow had jumped in fear. "You're still safe, remember that."

A moment of silence rests between the two, before Rainbow breaks it by asking,

"But who's not?"

Lucas stares at the Steves, waiting for an answer, however it never comes. Instead, Nightmare's gaze turns to the door of the Rainbow House.

"He's coming," he states. "Act normal, nothing happened," he turns to Lucas, an expression of fear and seriousness on his face as he adds, "you. Heard. Nothing."

He turns away, just as Sabre exits the front door, gazing with a calm and happy expression. He looks around, noticing Lucas and Rainbow, and walking over.

"Lucas! How's your morning been?" He asks cheerfully.

"Uh, yeah, good," Lucas replies, glancing at Rainbow. He pulls a smile to his face as Sabre's head turns to him.

"You seem uneasy, Rainbow," Sabre states.

"Oh, no not at all," Rainbow replies, trying to hide a fear. "I just, didn't get as good a sleep last night as I would have hoped."

"Ah alright. Well, feel free to take a nap, if you so wish," as Sabre walks away, he pats Lucas on the back. However, with the force of which he does so, the contact was heard by Nightmare, at least ten blocks away. Lucas bites his lip to not shouts from the pain, however his hand flies over his shoulder to comfort.

He glances over at Sabre, before back at the Steves. Nightmare had turned back around to face them, looking at Lucas with worry. Rainbow trembles slightly, and Lucas winces as he removes his hand from his back.

"Guys, we need to talk," Lucas states firmly, looking from Rainbow to Nightmare. Nightmare nods, before hesitantly yet strongly walking away, towards Sabre.

"Hey, Sabre?" He questions, now about twenty blocks away from the stables. "The Steves are saying they're running out of food, so Lucas, Rainbow and I were going to go and collect some."

"What are the rules about that?" Sabre questions, without facing the Steve.

"No chickens, and be back before sunset."

"Very good. Head off."

Nightmare walks briskly back towards his friends, before leading them towards the entrance of the town. The Blue and Green Steves that were guarding when Lucas arrived, had been replaced by a pair of Red Steves.

As they approach, the Red Steves pull iron swords from their backs, blocking their way out.

"Sabre has allowed us to leave," Nightmare states, and the blades are removed. "Thank you, Red Steves."

As they pass through, Lucas casts curious glances at the guards. They pay him no attention, however, and only look straight ahead.

"Lucas, come on!" Rainbow's voice brings Lucas back to reality, and he picks up the pace to follow.

Once the trio were out of earshot, the Red Steves glance at each other worriedly.

"Would he suspect anything?" One questions.

"I mean, Lucas does know Sabre's rules..." the other replies. "Maybe we should just be less aggressive?"

"Red Steves, less aggressive?" The first gives his friend a look. "Do you know yourself at all?"

"Apparently not," he replies with a slight chuckle.

Their humorous moment is interrupted, however, when Sabre approaches them. They straighten their backs, sheathing their swords once again.

"Who just left?" Sabre questions.

"Nightmare, Rainbow and Lucas," the first Red Steve answers.

"You let Rainbow leave?" The sudden hostility in Sabre's voice puts the Steves on edge.

"They said you had allowed it. We assumed-"

"Stop talking. Come with me. Leave your weapon." With a glance at his friend, the Red Steve removes his sword from his back once more, resting it on the ground.

"You know who I allow in and out of these walls," Sabre explains, as he leads the Red Steve towards the Rainbow house. "And you should remember that Rainbow Steve is to remain in these walls. Plague Steve, you're a guard now." As he passes Plague, he gives the instructions, directing the Steve to the front gate. "Do not disappoint me as this Red Steve has done."

As Plague jogs away, Sabre continues to lead Red into and through the Rainbow house, up into the back room. Instantly, Red Steve realises what his fate is, and his face flushes.

"Don't run. Don't scream." Sabre states, opening the door to reveal a large machine. On the floor and walls, blood is splattered. Torn off and bloodied limbs are scattered throughout. "Into the machine, Red Steve. My last meal was not enough."