Chapter 14

• Dedicated to My sister Ash :)

Yesterday when I drove to that hotel and told Niall how I felt, I was the most scared I had been in my life. But today, when I walked into the dentist’s office, I was terrified. Mick basically had to drag me in through the front door because as soon as we approached the place I stopped dead in my tracks and told my friend to take me home.

“Get me out of here. Who really cares about a cracked tooth?” I had asked, my heartbeat speeding. I sat down and flipped through the magazines, reading about my favourite gossip topic; Camille Grayson’s love life. I mean, I know it sounds wrong to read about the gossip in the media about my own sister, but well . . . actually I don’t have a good reason. I’m going to hell anyway, at this point it’s go big or go home.

“I can’t believe I’m the only single one in the group. I’m going to die alone.” Mick whispered. I elbowed him in the side.

“Will you shut up? Please? You’re going to find the right person eventually. Ask Camille out to a date.” I said, sick of seeing European boy-toys in the magazine.

“Like she would date me,” He said, reading through the sports part of the newspaper.

“I will seriously stab you if you keep being so damn insecure.” I was about to say that he should be is confident and sassy self but the dentist came in and said my last name. I was locked into the chair with pure fear and the magazine fell onto the plastic floor. I couldn’t move. I literally couldn’t move I was frozen.

Mick, once again, had to drag me out of the chair and into the little office with all the shiny tools and the big chair that smelled like death and shattered dreams. Just kidding, it smelled like mint and shattered dreams.

“She’s very scared of the dentist.” Mick said since I couldn’t even talk. My jaw was locked and my heart was thundering in my chest as I dug my fingernails into the arm rests and pushed the back of my head into the seat.

“I can tell. I’m going to need some anesthetic,” The dentist said, picking up a clear bottle and a needle. Finally something I wasn’t scared of.

*****

I stroked the window of the car with my finger and smiled as it made a squeaky noise. I giggled at the noise and heard Mick sigh. The trees were vividly green and everything was awesome. And then it wasn’t. The car had stopped and the blur of green near the wheel had stopped. I didn’t falter though. I just continued to chew the cotton wool in my mouth. It was fluffy.

“How are you feeling?” I heard Carrie ask as she opened the door to the car.

“Spectac-ulac-ular,” I struggled to make the word. My tongue was numb and tingly. All of a sudden Niall appeared next to her. His face was frowny.

“Are you high?” He asked.

“Did they give you something?” Carrie asked

“Oh yeah,” I smiled. “They gave me . . . everything.” I giggled again as I swung my legs out of the car but they wouldn’t work. Now I remembered why Mick had to carry me out to the car. I fell to the ground but I didn’t feel anything at all. No pain. I was just giggling again.

“The dentist said that the effects would last for a few hours.” Mick said.

“How much did she need?” Carrie asked in surprise.

“A lot,” was all that Mick said. I held my arms up and waved them around.

“Can I go inside?” I asked. I looked at Niall and he smiled in a very cute way. Everyone had to help me get onto his back but I was very comfortable there. I rested my cheek on his blue shirt and sniffed it. It smelled like peppermint and clean linen. Once we were inside he dumped me on the couch. I rolled and snuggled into the cushion.