one.

-
"Good morning, Momma!" Annila (a-nilla) carefully removed her arms around her old toy. Her father had made it for her, and she had since treasured it for years. Annila had named it Klo.

"Morning, Anni. How was your sleep?" Annila's mother, seemed to be heating up more of the rations that were provided by the Empire at the start of the month. Anni may be a mere six year-old girl, but she was quite observant.

"It went well. I fell asleep while playing with Klo, and I dreamed about..." Anni trailed off. The topic of her late father was never a very good one to bring up around her mother.

"Yes? What did you dream about?" Anni's mother pressed.

"A kingdom! People were everywhere, and Klo was sitting in a throne at the top!" Over time, Anni had learned to lie. She was getting better. Was that a good thing? She didn't know.

"That's nice, Anni. How about you grab your rations and eat up, hm? Your happy day is tomorrow!" Anni's mother smiled and brought out the rickety pot that she would heat the rations in, every morning.

Anni rolled up her rough sleeves and tucked her brittle hair behind her tiny ears. Grabbing the rectangular piece of whatever was in the ration, she took a big bite. The taste, as always, was horrible. Anni fought back a gag. She could do this.
Gulping down the last of her food for the day, she wiped her hands on her clothes and smiled at her mother.

"I'll be heading to the school now. I'll see you later!" Anni grabbed her heavy books in her arms and maneuvered them in place.

For the past year, Anni had been walking herself to school. The run-down, beat-up parts of the elder-run empire that she lived in were so cluttered; she couldn't just jump on the nearest Ski and fly her way over to school. Anni was often made fun of for her ratty clothes and not having a Ski of her own.

It didn't matter; she had hope for her happy day, even though all the children her age had the same birthing remembrance day. When her father was still with her, he'd always call that day her 'happy day,' because "birthing remembrance day is ridiculously long for a name." Anni grinned. Even though her father wasn't with her and her mother anymore, Anni knew in her big heart that he was still a part of her.

Making her way over the muddy creek and the cleanly streets of the wealthy part of the empire, she could see the tall pillars of the school building come into view. All children are taught in the same place until they turn twelve.
However, once the 12 chosen of the year have been assigned a patron, they must begin to train their abilities for the ceremony. They separate into 12 different districts and learn to cultivate their skills with experienced trainers and older chosen children.
Those who have not been chosen are expected to work for the empire after finishing year 12 of their education.

Anni didn't fully understand. But that was okay. School could teach her everything, right? Everything she'd need to know... all in that one mega building.

She took a deep breath. Time to head inside.

-
i wrote this draft in july 2020 whaat