Fifteen

Sunday morning hit like a welding torch, a giant one that could burn my whole body at once. I struggled to breathe as I felt my body begin to swell, like I was a giant blister that would pop at any second, showering the room with pus and blood.

If that sounds disturbing, it barely scratched the surface of the panic that erupted inside of me. I couldn't pray for help, as even my mind was only capable of wordless screams, but I knew I must be dying and hoped that my sacrifice would earn me some brownie points in the hereafter.

Relief, when it came, was like an explosion. My body gave out and the heat and pain ejected themselves in one last violent burst.

It was then that I realized my phone was ringing. I peered at the display and saw it was Corban.

Oh no. He probably thought I was an idiot or crazy or both. How was I going to explain my message to him? I hadn't expected him to listen to it, really. I'd been so wrapped up in my theories about him that I almost forgot he was a real person, and when he hadn't replied for two days, I'd been able to put him out of my mind.

I cleared my throat and recited the alphabet, half-hoping the call would go to voicemail before I was done. It didn't, so I answered. "Hi."

"Liana?"

"Yeah..."

"It's Corban. Sorry it took me so long to call you back. What's going on?"

I shut my eyes and bit my lip. What was I supposed to say? I felt like an idiot. "Um... sunrises are getting worse," I said.

"How so? More painful?"

"Much."

"But you're still able to walk around during the day?"

"Yeah, but I don't know for how much longer. This morning, I was sure I was a goner."

It was several seconds before he replied. "I'm sorry. As far as I've been able to learn, your condition isn't stable. Won't be stable. I'm amazed you're still you, to be honest. And very, very relieved."

"Is anyone here covering for you? Anyone who could deal with me if I turned?"

"I can't answer that. I'm sorry."

I sighed. "Sorry to call you."

"Why? I gave you my phone number for a reason. What else is happening around Taos?"

"Someone got stabbed on the bus Thursday. School was cancelled Friday. We've had fights and someone tried to burn down the library. And my aunt's been having a hard time."

"Your aunt has always had her ups and downs."

"I know."

"The rest of what you said, though? That's not great."

"Where did you go?" I asked.

"I went to figure out who turned you. Looks like the nest in New England is active again."

"That sounds bad."

"It is. Anyway... I'm trying to get back to Taos. I'll do my best, okay?"

Trying? I wondered. What was stopping him? "Okay... good luck."

"And I'm sorry I was gone for so long. That wasn't my plan." There was real regret in his voice.

My impulse was to say, "That's okay," but I wasn't sure that made sense. It wasn't as if he owed me anything. "Good luck getting home" was what I decided to say.

"Thanks. I'll find you once I do."

As we hung up I reminded myself that this did not mean he'd find me first thing when he got back. I had no idea what else was going on in his world, or even what his world entailed. I put my phone aside and shut my eyes, waiting for a different kind of agony to pass.