Twenty-Four

Aunt Cassie was sitting in the kitchen, in the dark, fidgeting.

Great. I was dealing with a stonewalling angel in the driveway, a needy vampire outside my window, and now a guardian who wasn't doing the necessary adulting to be a guardian.

I switched on the light. "Hi," I said to my aunt.

At least she was dressed and not in that bathrobe. She wore a tie-dyed shirt and tie-dyed leggings that didn't go together, and had her hair up in a messy bun. When the light came on, she startled and blinked at me. After her eyes adjusted, she held up what looked like part of a scarf that she was crocheting. "Can you turn the lights out?" she asked.

"You're learning to crochet in the dark?" I asked.

"I already know how to crochet. The dark makes it more interesting."

"So, in case you go blind, you can still make scarves?"

"Sure. I suppose that's one application. You're in a mood tonight."

"I left my extra tamales in Gina's car."

"And Corban drove you home."

So she wasn't completely out of it. Corban's car was easy to see out the window, though I didn't look at it for any longer than necessary. Cassie, as if sensing my turmoil, pulled the blinds shut.

"Don't invite anyone into the house tonight," I said over my shoulder as I headed into my room.

"Is something wrong? Did Corban hurt you?"

I paused in my doorway and looked back at her, feeling instantly guilty for my cavalier attitude. Yes, she was a kook, but she still cared about me, and she kept her own life together well enough. In this moment, she sat wearing the clothes she wanted in the bizarro kitchen of the house she wanted. I'd be lucky to accomplish that much in what was left of my life.

And there was a very dangerous bloodsucking demon lurking nearby who would kill her if given the chance. I wasn't sure how I knew Evan had abandoned all human ethics, even the dictate not to kill people, but I knew.

"No," I said. "Corban's fine."

"All right. And why shouldn't I invite anyone in?"

I weighed possible answers for a moment, then settled on: "My ex-boyfriend may have come to town to find me."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah... I mean, I haven't seen him. I've just heard he might be here." I hoped against hope that she wouldn't press me on where I'd heard this.

"Well," said Cassie, "let me know what you need." She meant it too, even if she couldn't promise to provide for said needs.

"Thanks," I said. I went the rest of the way into my room, shut the door, and took a good look around. Had I really gawked at Amy's bedroom earlier that day? At least hers had square walls and a place to hang clothing. Mine looked like the inside of an alien seed pod and the only clothing storage was in a low cabinet made of knotty wood that didn't really fit together. I pulled open one of the doors, got down on my knees, and dug around until I found my manicure kit.

Then I turned off the main light, turned on my little bedside light, pulled my chair over to the window, grabbed the garbage can, and got to work cutting my toenails, with the window opened just a crack, letting frigid air stream in.

Here went nothing. In the void where my guilt about Dad's death should have been had poured a firm batch of resolve. I was ready to take revenge in any way possible. I looked inward at the razor blade of grief lodged by my heart and let the pain flow, except rather than get sad, I got angry. The person responsible for killing my father and ruining my life was nearby, and I was about to face him. None of this would have happened if not for Evan.