Chapter Three

Eloa wasn't sure what time it was when she woke. It was dark. In her agitation, she had forgotten to turn on the lamp. With a sigh, she rolled to the end table.

"What did I say about making sounds?" His voice came out of the blackness.

Motionless, she held her breath. His laughter was dark. No one touched her so she figured she was safe. For the moment. With a click, the light pushed back the darkness of the room.

He wasn't there.

She frowned as she scanned the room. "Where are you, demon?"

"Not where I want to be." His words were short and seemed forced.

"Why do you not show yourself." As soon as the words left her mouth, he appeared in the chair beside her.

He watched her closely and had to give her credit for not flinching when he appeared.

"You're not... afraid, are you?"

She could hear the effort it took him to speak.

"What is your name?" She met his eyes. Every so often she could see the flicker of red, but it wasn't anything to worry about. Yet.

"Valafar."

Eloa eased up on the pillows, hung her legs off the edge of the bed and sat up. She kept her movements slow and easy. "Well, Valafar, may I make a suggestion? It seems you wish to talk and are having a difficult time with it. How about we go ahead and get that out of the way?"

"What?"

Her lips quirked into the first smile he had seen on her face. Granted, he hadn't given her anything to smile about.

"Kiss me, demon, whose life is so much better than mine."

"Why?" Damn it.

"I will tell you my story if you tell me yours," she leaned forward and closed her eyes.

Things didn't go well with the prostitute, though she left with her life. His control was shaky at best, but she asked for it.

He rose from the chair and crossed into dangerous territory. His hand shook as he touched her chin, pulling her face up. Bending, he touched his lips to hers and her mouth parted beneath his. His free hand cupped the nape of her neck, pulling her closer to him and he deepened his kiss.

A shudder ran through him at the feel of her tongue twining with his. No hesitation. No fear.

Her hands clenched his shirt and he dropped to his knees in front of her, keeping his mouth on hers. His arms circled her and he pulled the angel against his chest.

The soft moan that broke from her roared through him, whipping the flames already burning into an inferno. His beast roared but somehow, Valafar found the strength to push him away.

Moving again, he gripped her knees, spreading them before he settling between. He slid his hands beneath her bottom and pulled her against him.

All the while, her mouth made love to his.

She was burning. This was so much worse than what she felt earlier. So much more intense. She broke away from his lips, gasping for air. Maybe it could put out the fire that ran through her veins.

Gasping.

Horrified, she met Valafar's sliver eyes.

His smile was bitter. "Somehow, you keep me from going off the deep end, angel."

"What are you doing to me?" she asked.

He frowned at the look on her face. "What do you mean?"

"Did you poison me? Infect me with something?"