Chapter Five

Just a random observation... Valafar and Elliot, and now Draven, have been the most complicated and fun and terrifying characters to write. I've made comments about them, in my writers groups and what not, but seriously, they give me heart palpitations, concerned for the FMC.

~~~

Guilt poured into her as he disappeared. He would kill and it would be her fault. No. She couldn't think that way. He was this way before she fell into this mess. Literally.

She found herself staring at the blood stains on the carpet.

His apology. That look in his eyes. It was suffering. He had said he found the voices fun. Part of him did, of that she was certain. But she was also sure that a part of him didn't.

How could she help him? How could she keep him from slaughtering humans? Innocent or not, their lives were not his to take.

Her kiss helped him.

She thought about the offhand manner with which he first told he told her about the demons he knew being with angles. He wasn't trying to convince her, not then. That wasn't his goal. Could it be true?

She knew Vangelis. He obviously did too. The former messenger's name wasn't one that was often spoken. He had chosen Earth. Same as she. The demon wouldn't know that name... Unless he knew him.

The risk was huge. Her soul. The life part wasn't as big an issue. If she died, then that was it.

But her soul...

If he lied about this and she did what she felt she had to do, then she would spend the rest of eternity a slave to whoever wanted to abuse her. An angel with wings of red.

Would she do it? She stared at the blood.

Could she?

~

Roaming the earth, Valafar did nothing to ease the lust for death that burned in him.

He did that with the drug house and look how far that got him. As nutty as he was, even he could see the pattern that giving in would lead to. Yes, he craved it. The soothing madness, the thrill of ending lives. But he hated it too.

The look on her face he when her told her it was human blood that covered him had more influence on him then he would have liked. Why did he give a damn?

What was it about the angel that affected him to such a degree? Why did he go and kill others when she drove him mad?

No, she didn't drive him mad. He was already that. She just tripped him sometimes. End her or free her. Speaking wasn't that important. Not that he ever asked for anything anyway. He took. And that was another mystery.

He wanted the angel he held captive more than he had ever wanted anything. So, why didn't he take her? He could. Right now, even. Granted, he would have to kill her first, because of his stupid fucking words. Her angelic strength would be no match for his. He wasn't quite as old as Elathan, but close.

For some reason, he wanted her to choose him. But she never would. Threats on a minute by minute basis. Warning her, don't do this, don't do that. Hurting her. She came to him, only wanting to do what was in her heart. And he twisted her whole reason for being, made a mockery of her life. Yeah, she would choose his worthless ass.

She was goodness personified.

He was the monster under the bed.

A match made in hell.

~

Home. How long would his moment of clarity last here? It didn't matter. Valafar couldn't stay away any longer. He needed to be with her. And he found her sitting in her the chair by the window, staring at the sky.