Venus

"Take these." Aleyna said, giving us ski masks. "Why?" Fox asks. "'Cause I can't trust y'all not to talk." She hands me a purple mask. I put it over my head and then pull it up over my nose. I help Fox with hers. Hades's gets stuck on her horns. "I'm Mesa. And you are?" Said the wolf. We introduced ourselves. Aleyna walks up to Hades and hands her a orange liquid. She drinks it and transforms into a dragon. We hop on, this time Aleyna first. "I know how to ride a dragon." She winks. She grasps her horns. We all get on. The wolf insists not to. He multiplies in size. He gets gigantic, majestic wings. His rainbow streaks in his silver furdisappeared. "You," he says, pointing his muzzle at me, "are riding with me."

...

The wind blows my hair behind me as we go higher and higher into the clouds. I take a small strand of hair and chew on it. I close my eyes. I listen. I listen to the wind howl, the birds chirp, even the sound of my breathing. I feel the rise and fall of Mesa breathing on his back. I feel the clouds that my feet are dragging in. I try to remember the sound of my mother's voice. Something else comes to my head. A person with a hoodie on. It flashes so it is hard to focus. It doesn't help that it is extremely dark. I see them holding a rope. They walk toward a woman, screaming and holding something. The person takes the rope and swings it over the woman, forcing her arms down. The item drops. I realize it is a baby when it cries. The person ties the rope and drags her away. I see the baby, all alone, nowhere to go. Helpless. My head snaps up. I feel like the whole adventure was a dream until I see I am flying on Mesa. I take my backpack off my shoulder and unzipped it. I take a bite out of an apple. I offer some to Mesa, but he shakes his head. "Think of me as your servant." "Well I should pay you," I say, smirking. "Ah, tricky." And that's all he says. I sigh and roll my eyes. I think about my dream. Who were all of those people? It couldn't have been a vision. Right?