Chapter 1

Before the sun's light had brimmed over the tops of the trees, the little village was already bustling with the sounds of morning. The commoners were bustling in the streets, chittering with each other, sharing gossip and bargains, while maids and peasant women carried their baskets of garments and comestible or fetched water from the village square fountain. Bakers began churning their mills, blacksmiths hammered away in their open shops, and animals called out for their breakfast meals.

The little houses and shops were squished together in the quaint town, their roofs and chimneys catching the morning rays that peaked over the mountains in the distance. The streets became packed with commute, and the inhabitants carried on their morning routines.

At the far end of the town's outskirt was a little cottage with a thatched roof and a little garden beside it. The door of the home opened to reveal a woman in a dark-gold cloak with the hood laid back to reveal a head of coppery-brown curls. A satchel hung from her slim hip, and a book rested under her arm.

She alighted down the front steps and began her walk toward the busy town square. As she was turning a corner, she bumped into someone.

"Oh! Sorry – oh, hello, Desi."

The woman in front of her brushed aside her mass tangle of black curls and looked at her. "Oh, hello, Evolet. Sorry, don't mind me." She adjusted the thin cloak about her shoulders and looked down.

Life was tough for Desi, for any woman in prostitution for that matter. Evolet knew that despite Desi's choice in job, Desi still kept a good demeanor about her. Although quiet, she was a kind girl actually – kinder than the other two prostitutes she worked with in the town.

"How are you?" Evolet asked, giving her a small smile.

"Good." Desi returned the smile. It was hard not to. Evolet was a sweet person, but her most remarked attribute was her beauty. Her hazel doe-like eyes were large for her face, making them more prominent and striking, and her skin was fair, more fair than the people of this town since she took after her mother's complexion as she was from the north. It was like the pale petals of a rose which contrasted greatly from her hair when the light touched upon the copper strands within the brown, seeming to ignite them. She was considered to hold the most beauty in the town, which was the reason why some people, including the other two prostitutes, turned their noses up at her in passing. Desi didn't do that. "Where are you off to? A book I see?"

Evolet glanced her hazel doe eyes down at the book and placed a hand on it. "Yes, I am taking it to the Booksmith to see if he can patch up the spine."

"Spine?"

"Yes, the part that holds the pages in the book." Evolet drew out the book and opened it to show the part she was referring to.

"Interesting, to think books have spines. Do you think they have a mind as well?"

"Well they certainly are capable of filling ours."

Desi snorted then froze as she looked past Evolet. She drew her face close and whispered, "Don't look now, but he's watching you again."

Evolet knew who she was referring to. She didn't even need to turn around but still glanced over her shoulder to see a tall figure leaning against the wall of a vendor, shaded in its shadow. Internally, she groaned.

Evolet turned back to Desi. "Well, I must be going. Take care of yourself, Desi."

They simply nodded to each other and then departed in separate directions. Evolet continued her path to the Booksmith. She glanced back toward the shadow of the stall, but it was empty.

After dropping off her her book to the Boomsmith, she started toward the Stables where her Dole draft horse awaited.

She hadn't even made it several strides before she heard steps approach close behind her and a voice speak, "Good morning, beautiful."