Chapter 13

The next day, the stranger did not come by. All Evolet had on her was the dress from before. She toyed with the gauze of the skirt. The sun hadn't even risen yet, though the gray morning light promised its coming. She waited. When the dawn arrived,she listened and heard a sound. A click.

Looking over, she saw the door creak open slightly. Breath held, she stilled and expected to see the dark cloak swish in, but nothing. The door stayed ajar, the tiny opening either beckoning her or taunting her. She got up, the gauzy fabric bunching around her. Smoothing her skirt, she carefully traipsed toward the door. She grabbed the handle and opened further.

Outside, a window was to her very right, and to the left was a corridor at which the end yielded a sharp corner. Evolet made her way quickly down the corridor for the corner. Turning, she saw a stairwell lead downward. Without hesitation, she began descending down the stone steps, her bare feet barely making a sound on the stone.

At the landing, she was brought into a small open room. At the other side was a glass door through which Evolet could see twilight and a porch. She rushed toward it and pushed the doors out. The open air met her and she breathed in the night's cool air. Walking over to the railing, she peered down and about collapsed. She was at least three stories up. She turned her gaze upward and saw, as far as she was able to see, the balcony was attached to a magnificent castle. The stone was weathered and the beams were wrought from rust and deterioration. Despite the paling darkness of imminent morning, the castle seemed almost to be shrouded in its own shadow.

Evolet had only a second to ponder more before a hellish screeching pierced her ears. Wide-eyed, she caught sight of the winged beast flying overhead. Grabbing to lift her skirt, she bolted back inside and slammed the doors behind her. Gasping, she wasn't sure if the beast had seen her or not.

I need to get out of here. It's almost dawn. I could keep the trees as cover and use the sun as my shield, Evolet thought. I just need to find stairs...

Scanning, she found a door, and after pulling it open, revealed a new set of stairs descending down. She followed them until she came to the next landing and searched for more stairs. After descending more, struggling to control her breath, she managed it to what she believed to be the last door harboring the path that would lead to her freedom outside.

She grabbed for the door handle and attempted to pull. There was a slight resistance, and only when did she fly it open and blindly run forward, did she stumble into a broad, muscular body. She was instantly steadied by strong arms wrapped around her.

Startled, she looked up – into the face of Theron.

"What? Theron?!" Evolet exclaimed, yet not forgetting the threat of the beast nearby.

"I'm here. You're okay now." He released one arm from her and pointed to the hallway before them. "Come." He began walking, pulling her with him.

"But, how did you...?" Evolet began to ask.

"I searched for you," Theron turned back to her. He looked at her with sincerity in his eyes. "I couldn't just leave you."

Evolet embraced him. "I'm just glad to being free again."

He embraced her back and began leading them again. Soon, they were met with the grand entrance doors. Evolet almost leapt with happiness. As Theron neard to open the grand oak doors, he looked back at her briefly before placing his hand to push open.

Evoelt couldn't help but wonder. Maybe she had been wrong about Theron. Maybe he's good for me after all...