1. Viivi

In the postmodern era, natural science rules all else. However, that doesn't mean that it can explain everything. Alas, there is no shortage of phenomena that can never be explained by natural science. But of course, in a world where natural science dominates all, anything supernatural must be treated as though it doesn't exist.

Even so, the mere will on the part of human beings to believe that supernatural phenomena don't exist does not have the power to actually erase them from this world. Just because you don't acknowledge something doesn't mean it ceases to exist.

☆☆☆

"Agh!" came the scream of a young woman. Frightened, she dropped to her knees in the grassy park that evening, covering her ears and lowering her head as if that would block from her senses what she was seeing.

As soon as she knelt, two gunshots were fired. Alarmed, the girl looked up at the space where the disfigured, floating...thing had been a moment ago. It was no longer there. She blinked and stood up, then turned around. Standing behind her was a man she had never seen before. He was just putting his gun away.

"That bullet was specially made for the undead," explained the man calmly. "It's a wonder that you see them. Actually, I suspect you might even attract them, for unknown reasons."

"Attract them...?" the girl murmured, her crystal blue eyes fixated acutely on the stranger. "I do. But I don't know why." The terror of the previous minute seemed to have left her entirely, now that the creature was gone, and that she was, receiving information from another individual about her predicament.

The man handed her a card. At first glance, it looked like a name card—but it had no name, only a phone number and an alias, put in quotes, "Sir".

"If you need help, call this number and ask for 'Sir'. It will reach me. In addition...I will get straight to the point, as night is falling and you should probably head home soon. There is an organization looking into the supernatural and dealing with them. If you so wish, join us. The uniqueness of your condition will help us locate beings like the one that we just saw, and in return, we will ensure your personal safety."

She looked at the card, memorizing the number immediately. Then, she put the card in her pocket and raised her head again at the smiling stranger, who appeared to be some twenty years her senior.

"Are you called 'Sir', just that? Do you have a name?" she asked, her brows furrowed in concentration.

"I do have a name, of course," he said, smiling. "But I am called only 'Sir' within the Association. It is all for the better."

"I see." The young woman bit her lip, but quickly made up her mind. "I'll call tomorrow then. My name is Viivi Tucker—and I hope you weren't just messing with me when you said you'd be recognized by just 'Sir'."

☆☆☆

That was five years ago. Now, Viivi was one of the most active members of the Association—which, as "Sir" had claimed, was a semi-underground organization investigating supernatural beings and activities, and eliminating them when necessary and capable. Viivi was active as a researcher, but she was active more so because of her tendency to attract the Association's targets. When in action, she travelled with at least one of the hunters, just in case anything should happen.

Due to how frequently the Association demanded her involvement, she took only freelance work—part-time at best. For reasons unknown to herself, Viivi didn't mind the instability.

"Hey...this one looks nice!" the young woman noted as she entered a boutique.

"This black dress?" guessed the salesperson. "You have a keen eye. It would look good on you."

"Oh!" Viivi whipped around at the sound of the salesperson, her dark auburn hair almost slapping him across the face. "Well...um, maybe next time?"

The salesperson chuckled merrily. "Of course," he said, "It's not like we can bring another bag to the scene. I'll be getting off in a few minutes, Vii, I hope you don't mind the wait?"

"Don't mind me, Glen," Viivi said, her gaze already wandering off to the display window. "I'll just be hanging around here."