『eight: monologue』

"Fresh blood spills before my eyes

"Fresh blood spills before my eyes."

Chapter 8

"To the point where I want to reject the fact that this dream is just a dream."

Gunshots rang throughout the otherwise silent night. The moon shone brightly, directly above me, as if it was glaring down on me.

It has almost been a month since August's death and December's disappearance.

Ever since then, I only focused on my missions and nothing else. No matter how immoral those may be, it was enough for me to keep my sanity in check. 

There goes another gunshot and another body falling to the ground.

I felt numb. I felt empty.

The world is truly a horrible place. A land that is full of selfish beings using each other to attain their selfish goals.

I watch as their body fell to the ground, staining the grass with the thick crimson liquid that was pouring out from their wounds. Their eyes reflected the moon, reminding me of the celestial body that was glaring down on me. 

I live in a life full of crimes yet, I'd still choose it over my past. 

As a child, life wasn't something I appreciated. I would throw away my life if I could. There was no point in living after all. Why would we try so hard to receive trivial accomplishments only to wither away in the end?

Everything seemed so pointless. It's because, in my eyes, everything is.

We are nothing but replaceable pawns in our lives. So replaceable that even my biological parents left me on the streets to die. Since then I lived a life full of crimes.

As their blood stained my clothes yet again, I still felt nothing. As their blood splashed across my face, as their eyes pleaded for mercy, I felt nothing. Only then, I realized, I might be going insane.

Despite the sudden realization, the mission was finished without a hitch. I found myself dangling my feet off the edge of the cliff, observing the suicide drug August invented. The metallic blue color of the vial reflected the light of the moon as if it was mocking me

It was a night like this where the moon was glaring down on me, too, when a boy with light green hair approached me. He looked to be around a year or two older than me.

"Hey! It's already dark out here. What are you doing all alone? Didn't you know it's dangerous-" 

Those were the first words he told me. It's so like him to be such a worrywart. Worrying for strangers in the dark. 

"I'm fine."

I cut him off with a curt response. He hummed in approval as he took a seat beside me, dangling his foot of the cliff like I did. I remember sighing in disappointment as I stood up and moved away from the boy.

"Hey! I didn't mean to scare you! Come back!"  he shouted as he stood up and waved me over. 

"You're not scaring me. You're as scary as a butterfly." I deadpanned.

"I should be offended but I'm not going to be." He stated as I took a seat beside him near the edge.

"Then be offended." I sighed. What did he want with me? Why is he being so persuasive? 

"Do you want some?" He asked as he offered me a pastry. 

"What's that?" I remember replying.

"It's gingerbread. Families eat them during the holidays."  He explained.

"That's nice. Is it poisoned?" I asked.

"Who knows?" He laughed. I remember swiftly grabbing the treat from his hands and taking a bite.

"I'm pushing you off the cliff if this isn't poisoned," I remember making that retort. 

It was the first time in my life that I could say I felt something close to home. Just being around him felt like I had an older brother that I can trust. It felt like what the other kids described as magic.

"Do you normally hang around here? Isn't this dangerous? " He asked.

"It's simple, I have nowhere to go." I explained. 

"Why don't you join my family? I'll introduce you to The Organization." He offered. 

I remember snorting at his proposal as if it was a joke.

"You're just a kid like me, what could you possibly offer?" I said. 

"Why don't you see for yourself ?" He replied, with a slight tone of mischief as the moon beamed ever so brightly behind the two of us.

As I got a closer look, his eyes were such a pretty shade of purple, they were so bright, you can see the moon's reflection in them. 

A strong gust of wind ended my trip down nostalgia lane as I faced the taunting vial of drugs that I was observing. I sighed as I stood up and walked away from the cliff, wiping away the blood on my face in the meantime. 

I still had time to kill from the looks of it. The night seems to be unnecessary long for some reason. I didn't like it one bit. Despite, that I let my feet wander off wherever they wanted to go. I didn't have a direction in life anymore. I didn't know what I was doing anymore.

I found myself sitting on a park bench. 

"The moon looks so sad today, I wonder why..." 

I heard a familiar voice whisper to no one. As soon as I turned my head to face him, I wanted to laugh. 

Not only am I insane, but I'm hallucinating too. 

On the same park bench, the one I'm sitting on was December in casual attire. He was wearing a maroon shirt under a gray, fluffy cardigan that was paired with dark blue jeans and brown boots. 

December looked much softer than usual. I wanted to embrace him in a big, warm hug. I couldn't help myself as I ran my fingers through his hair that was as soft as ever. I felt a tear run down my face as he shifted from his sleeping position and turned towards me. This hallucination felt so real it has brought me to tears. 

The moment was interrupted as I heard my watch's alarm sound. It's time to head back already. I wiped my tears at the back of my hand and made myself presentable again. 

"December, I miss you so much. I think I'm going insane." I bid him farewell as I walked away. 

Unbeknownst to the [Hair Color] haired agent, Hisoka MIkage also known as December, who was only looking for a comfortable napping spot, opened his eyes.

"...Weird." He muttered under his breath as he closed his eyes yet again and continued his nap.