TWENTY-NINE

I brush Leo's hair as he and Chris sleep soundly together. I'm getting used to Chris sleeping over ever since he found out his mom got a new boyfriend who isn't his dad. But once he went back home and had a talk with his mom then came back he seemed perfectly fine. When Jack dropped him off, Chris said his goodbye, but there wasn't an acceptance on his face.

He is still not used to Jack dating his mom.

After Eddie's surprise gift, I couldn't handle it and went straight to Leo's room for comfort and ease. My heart couldn't take the fact that Eddie knew where I lived.

I talked about my other family here in California but never where.

I know Eddie has his secret connection, and whatever he wants, he gets as long his pockets are full of cash.

The soft snore of Leo and Chris pulls my lips into a curl. I caress Leo's dark hair as the door slowly opens.

"Claire?"

I tilt my head to see Don at the door—one last brush and adding a kiss on the head. I got up and left the room. I shut the door, not facing Don. I want to show him I'm not afraid. I don't want him to think that I'm such a scared little bunny that I always am.

"Baby, I heard from Rex."

His velvet voice always shivers my spine - in a good way.

I abruptly spin and tackle him with a hug, burying my face against his chest. I wrap my arms around his waist and cry softly, not making a sound so Leo won't wake up.

"I'm...I'm scared, Don," I muffle and sob. "Eddie won't let me go. He won't give up unless I go back to him. And Leo...I can't."

Don's arm wraps my petite frame like a blanket. A nice soft and warm blanket that calms my nerves at ease.

"Don't worry, dove. I won't let him hurt you."

I sniffle and look up at him as our eyes meet. He brushes a strain of my hair back and dips his head for a kiss.

"Pack up your things." He says.

I furrow my brows. "Why?"

"Don't ask," he kiss my forehead. "I'll get the boys and meet you at the truck."

I didn't want to argue or ask why, but I did anyways once he entered Leo's room.

I gathered all the necessary things, like a few clothes and my toiletries, and then I packed Leo's things and got Chris's stuff heading out of the house.

I spot Don placing a sleeping Leo in the car seat next to Chris.

"Don," I call out to him in a whisper. "Where are we going?"

He takes the baggage and puts them in the back of his truck. "We are going to meet a buddy of mine at the airport."

"At this hour?" I almost crack a voice.

"We have to leave now." He says. "We have to drop Chris first."

"We can't. His mom is on a business trip in Singapore." I tell him. "She won't be back for another week."

"How about leaving him with Jordan?"

I shake my head. "He's not used to Jack yet. You know, with the whole dating my mom thing."

"Oh, right," he chuckles. "We can't leave him here since he and Leo are inseparable."

That's true.

Leo and Chris are like long-lost brothers who didn't know that one of them even existed. They are thicker than blood.

"We can take him with us," I suggest.

"I guess there is no harm in that."

"But first, tell me where we are going before I freak out."

Don only chuckles as he replies before he says. "You will know once we get there."

Kiss my cheek before going around the truck to the driver's side.

I pout and hop in.

I put on my seat belt but pause. "Wait! What about Thea and them? I can't just leave without saying goodbye."

"The others already know and will meet us up later."

"I don't understand why we have to leave secretly." I made a face. "Are you worried about Eddie coming for me?"

I want to hear his answer, knowing Eddie found out where I'm staying. Maybe it's the reason why Don is making us leave the city. He is concerned that one of Eddie's subordinates will spy on us and tell that bastard everything.

"Is this buddy of yours the man you talked to on the phone a while ago?"

"Yes," he says honestly. "He's going to take us to one of the safe houses when we are on the field."

Safehouse?

Did Don find something about Eddie that I don't know about?

I want to ask. My mouth opened, but the question didn't come out.

I close them and look back at the sleeping boys. I'm worried once they wake up, they will need some answers as to why they aren't in bed but in a strange place. As for me, I'm ten times more worried about Eddie. Since his gift, I can't get that image out of my head. I had to lie to Leo about his puppy, and he ran away back to his mommy because he missed him. I couldn't tell my son that his father brutally murdered an innocent animal.

Just because you hate dogs doesn't mean you have to kill them.

Don was on his phone, his fingers moving as if he were texting his friend, and then starting the truck engine as he backed away from the parking spot and then drove down the nightly street.

Hey guys!!

Sorry for the delay in this chapter and its shortness. Like I said, I broke my arm, and it's hard to type, but I'm not in much pain with much rest and taking my meds. I'll probably heal in no time.

Thanks for your patience 😊

HAPPY READING!!