Chapter One

Portland, Oregon. One of the rainiest cities in the U.S. Always cold, always dark. I've only seen a few bright days. Things used to be different, for me at least.

The sun bared to shine when she was around. The birds bared to chirp, and the flowers bared to bloom. But then she left. And the world stopped turning. The clouds came rolling in. And I became sad. Not that type of sad you get when the boy you like doesn't like you back, no. The type of sad that is mental, and drastic, and painful.

Very, painful.

But here I was, and here's where I'll stay. Stuck in a black and white world where I'm by myself.

"How does that make you feel?" Ms.Kasey asked, breaking my chain of thought.

"What?"

"I asked how that made you feel, after she past." She sat skeptically in her chair as her eyes narrowed down at me.

Lately, my dad has been making me go see a therapist every 2 weeks ever since it happened. He says it's good to clear things off your chest and to get advice from wiser people.

But I just think he wants me out of the house more.

"I don't feel anything," I answered truthfully.

"You mean your not sad?"

No, I'm sad.

"I'm feeling better." I lied through my teeth.

She didn't seem to buy it.

"Now, Margaret." She sighed, placing her notepad and pen down. "What would you think if we ran a few tests, just to see what's going on up there."

"I guess."

"Great. I'll be right back." She smiled and exited the room, leaving me to be alone, like always.

Everyone leaves.

Since moving here, so far I've made a total of zero friends. My only friend was her, but she's not here.

I remember her so clearly, the sound of her laugh, how her eyes crinkled so slightly when she smiled, and they trail of freckles along her nose.

Just like mine.

I sighed as I sat, bored out of my mind. The clock on my phone read 12:23. My dad should be here by 12:30. As if it was on queue, Ms.Kasey and another lady whom I did not know the name of came in and began to run tests.

All in all, I didn't really take that long. All they did was ask me series of questions, drew some blood, and that was that. Easy-peasy.

"I'll be back with your test results in a few minutes." Ms.Kasey said.

I kicked back on the chair and ran my hand over the bandage where she drew blood. I used to always think about selfharm, but never dared to attempt. She would be so angry if I did.

My dad entered the room, right on time, for a first. I made sure to document this moment into my 'Achieving Moments' section of the brain, which was mostly vacant.

"Hey Margot." He used my nickname. "How did it go?"

"Good, she's running some tests or something." I answered.

Color drained from his face. What was so bad about a few tests? And why should he be so upset anyways?

"Mr.Tease? Can we speak with you?" The lady Ms.Kasey was with earlier barged in. Rude.

"Sure." My dad cleared his throat.

They stepped into the hall, and spoke too quietly for me to even hear a slight blimp of their conversation. Muffles came vibrating through the door, and my own curiosity kicked in. I charged to the door and stood, ear cupping the wall as I tried to make out the slightest words holding my future.

I know, it may seem a bit dramatic, but who cares? Yeah, me. I'm the one who they're talking about.

"She will need to take this twice a day and come visit more often, or this could get out of hand." The nurse told my dad.

"Oh, gosh I can't do this." My dad replied, he seemed... Upset?

"Yes you can, we can get you help too. This is a rare case so we need to be extra cautious with it."

The voices stopped, and I quickly jumped back into my seat.

"Alright, Margot. Let's go home." My dad slung his jacket over his right shoulder, as if nothing happened.

"What did she say?" I asked, innocently.

"You're fine, nothing's wrong." My dad smiled.

But I knew, hidden down in his eyes, there was something wrong. Something seriously wrong. But I guess I'll never know.