69. I'll Be Seeing You

I blow a breath up towards the ceiling of this shitty elevator. The party was out in the garden downstairs. I purposely took the elevator to not sweat through my suit since the staircase here was endless.

Had I known that the elevators in Spain would be so fucking shitty & antique and hasn't been maintained since it was built in 1894, even in this massive villa, I wouldn't be here.

But at least I'm finally going to the reception. I had been cooped up in the pool house all day, forcing myself to stay busy to not get wrapped in my emotions. I had managed to tidy the place and packed all my shit before the ceremony even started.

I somewhat explained the situation to the guys and the reasons why I couldn't go. They understood and would let me know when it was over.

Waiting around was the worst part. Especially since I had no clue if Lacey heard my message considering she didn't respond.

But at the same time, it meant that I would have to find various ways to keep occupied. And it was also perfect timing because no one was inside the house and I wouldn't be distracted from my plans.

I ran around the town nearby, nearly losing my fucking mind trying to get the items I needed. I spent the rest of the time on the rooftop, using all the natural light of the day to help me execute a surprise for Lacey that she'll hopefully like.

I wipe my sweaty hands on the front of my pale yellow trousers when the elevator finally stops moving. The grey doors loudly crank as they begin to open and take a few seconds until they finally let me out.

The heels of my shoes echo against the quiet walls of the house as I make my way outdoors where everyone else was. I nod my head at one of the staff members, welcoming me with a flute of champagne that I gladly take.

I stand at the small step facing everything. There were flickering candles at every round table that was covered in a heavy white cloth and the finest china.

A group of musicians across the space play live strings, adding to the intimate and light atmosphere. Guests sat on their assigned seats, dressed in the best clothes as they ate colorful plates of food while simultaneously participating in lively conversation.

I swallow down the champagne in one go, already anxious enough for tonight without the added pressure of all these people around me.

I think this is technically the first wedding I've attended (or more so the first wedding reception I've actually been to). I hope it doesn't go as fucked as my first attempt.

I take another closer look around, searching for Lacey through the intimate crowd. My heart rate shoots up at simply the thought of seeing her.

"Harry, you made it!" I hear Jane suddenly call out as she approaches me with a warm smile. Her arms spread out and I feel as though I have no choice but to hug her back.

"Evening Jane," I awkwardly tell her as she squeezes me once more before pulling away.

"You look great." She grins. "I take it you're feeling better?"

"Um, I guess," I say after a moment, unsure how to respond.

"I was bummed when Lacey told me you were feeling sick this morning but I'm happy you're here now."

I quickly catch on. "Me too."

Cameron greets me with a wide smile and hugs me as well. I gather that neither of them knows the real reason why I wasn't at the ceremony because Lacey covered for me. Or they're both really good actors.

"Congratulations," I tell the both of them. "I'm sorry I couldn't make it earlier. I'm sure it was a beautiful wedding." I quickly gesture behind them and sheepishly smile. "Still is. And-and you two look lovely."