𝐢𝐢 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐂𝐚𝐠𝐞

✯✯✯

This wasn't the first time Elise had set foot in the opulent Montgomery residence. Yet, the young woman felt foreign as she crossed the marble floor and stood beneath the ornate brass chandelier. Elise watched housemaids and butlers alike flit about the house, their activities ranging from scrubbing the already pristine floors to carrying steaming trays of hor d'oeuvres.

"May I take your coat, Ms. Clifford?" Mr. Anderson offered courteously.

Elise shedded the layer, smiling kindly as she handed her threadbare coat to the butler. Elise felt her mother move to stand beside her.

"I assume your having guests over tonight?" Elise turned to her mother, an eyebrow raised in question.

The older woman nodded affirmatively. "We are. Your stepfather is making an important business proposition this evening." She shifted closer to Elise, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder and a familiar, adoring smile stretched over her lips. "But nevermind that, welcome home, darling."

Elise's definition of home was very different to the extravagant townhouse she currently stood in. The young woman had grown fond of the quaint inns she frequented on her voyage. Elise reminisced on the telltale hazy warmth that would envelope her every time she entered a resting lodge—the same smell of tobacco and alcohol wafting through the entire building, the same uproarious laughter that would ring out pleasantly when a civilian who had one-too-many drinks told a jest... That was home. Not the ostentatious paneled walls enclosing her nor the bustling about of the frantic domestic help.

"Tillie," Penelope called over the din, drawing Elise out of her thoughts. "Have you set out the tea like I requested for this afternoon?"

A petite woman with mousy brown hair stepped out from one of the many doorways that lined the vast hall, wringing her hands. "Yes, Mrs. Montgomery." she replied demurely, her gaze cast towards the ground.

"Thank you," Elise's mother smiled encouragingly at the nervous housemaid, "Would you please notify my husband of my daughter's arrival."

Tillie nodded mutely before scampering up the grand staircase to the second floor of the townhouse.

Penelope turned back to Elise, beckoning the younger woman to follow her. The two women entered a parlor as resplendent as the foyer. The parlor quite a large room, but was well lit by the bronze sconces that hung on the walls and the natural lighting that filtered through the windows on the west wall. The older woman moved towards the congregation of lounge chairs by the unlit fireplace and sat down on one of the settees, motioning for Elise to do the same.

Elise sunk into a sumptuous chair, looking briefly at the porcelain tea set and assortments of sandwiches and pastries lain out on the tea table. She then looked at her mother, who was currently smoothing down the wrinkles on her skirts. "Mother," Elise started "Is Mr. Montgomery—"

Penelope interrupted her daughter, lifting a delicate eyebrow, "He's your stepfather, Elise, there is no need for such formality."

Elise cleared her throat awkwardly before correcting herself. "My... stepfather. Is he still resentful of my running away?"

The older woman sat a bit straighter, worrying her lower lip in thought as she carefully considered her next words. "Well, Elise..." she began cautiously. "You must know that this jaunt of yours had left quite the mark—"

"My, my Penelope." a dispassionate voice cut through the air like a knife. "I must admit, I'm quite surprised your vagabond of a daughter has decided to rejoin proper society."